beginner needs advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessi12345, May 13, 2010.

1. jessi12345

jessi12345 New Egg

May 13, 2010
    hi all,

i am pritty new to keeping chickens me and my husband got some chickens for the kids they love them to bits,
    we also ended up with 5 more from my mum in law as these were young we didnt realise we had a cockral
    but now he has got older he has being treading on the hens i am not sure if the eggs are fertile so i made an incubater just to see if we could hatch the eggs.
    the only thing is i am having trouble with the temp i no it would be easier to buy an incubator but my dad who is feeling low at the mo offerered to help make one and he seems to really enjoy helping with the chickens so if any1 could please give us some advice on chickens,hatching eggs, incubators ect we would be very grateful

kind regards:)

2. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    I think 99.5 degrees is how hot it needs to be, but add a small cup of water too, for humidity.

3. jessi12345

jessi12345 New Egg

May 13, 2010
    thanks for your very fast reply i will do am hoping we can get some eggs hatched for the kids to see not sure who is more excited us adults or the kids

4. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    Haha [​IMG]
    No problem by the way.
    Are your kids old enough to handle the fact that some very well might not make it?

5. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    [​IMG] Glad you could join us. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask. There are a lot of wise people here. Also don't forget to take advantage of the search feature. That will direct you to a world of information. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by