Beginner Pigeons

ReseisCL16

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2014
So I recently figured out that pigeons don't need to be raised their whole lives in cages if they're gonna be shown! Yay! :wee

However, there are so many different breeds of pigeon. I would only want to use them for show purposes. I want good fliers, but ones that are easily tamed. Fancy frill and curls and things like that would be nice, but not necessary. Are there any breeds that fit that description? Any help would be awesome! :D

You might take look in the owl and frill categories. Not sure how strong their flying is compared to homers and performing breeds, but I'd imagine they can fly better than the other types of show pigeons like fantails and the frill backs that have so much strange looking feathering on their back I can't imagine they can fly well.

Show homers would do if you wanted showy good fliers. Capuchins flew great never having predator trouble, Portuguese tumblers flew great, domestic flights I believe show version, oriental rollers. Others I cannot remember.. but stay away from any and all owl type breeds if you want to fly without constant loss to predators. Show rollers were pretty great and Hardy and flipped but low puttering fliers that'd narrowly get missed by hawks. Show homers rollers and tumblers best if want pretty pets to fly and show, good beginners easy keepers in smaller spaces and great feed conversion on anything fed. If want pretty fliers in big group/s to show flying flight varieties are best. some find their gull to hawk shape off putting with white eyes, no cere color, red beak with white tip, and red legs with big white claws, long bodies, etc (they come "capped" (crested) and "uncapped", are technically and bred from show breeds and show/performance tumblers, but like most pigeons, bad breeding made most breeds of more show than performance nowadays except "NYC flying flights" and some dual breeds. "FORs" flying oriental rollers are a breed being brought back from show only pen, but all are duel purpose good show birds (all FORs keepers ive met are extremely meticulous about balancing performance with their showing potential.. same with flying Portuguese rollers. where most other breeds are kept for only one purpose, because breeders do not want balanced birds that take any effort or pride anymore, just breed hoardes of useless show only birds that may as well just be stuffed and mounted ornaments.

Show homers would do if you wanted showy good fliers. Capuchins flew great never having predator trouble, Portuguese tumblers flew great, domestic flights I believe show version, oriental rollers. Others I cannot remember.. but stay away from any and all owl type breeds if you want to fly without constant loss to predators. Show rollers were pretty great and Hardy and flipped but low puttering fliers that'd narrowly get missed by hawks. Show homers rollers and tumblers best if want pretty pets to fly and show, good beginners easy keepers in smaller spaces and great feed conversion on anything fed. If want pretty fliers in big group/s to show flying flight varieties are best. some find their gull to hawk shape off putting with white eyes, no cere color, red beak with white tip, and red legs with big white claws, long bodies, etc (they come "capped" (crested) and "uncapped", are technically and bred from show breeds and show/performance tumblers, but like most pigeons, bad breeding made most breeds of more show than performance nowadays except "NYC flying flights" and some dual breeds. "FORs" flying oriental rollers are a breed being brought back from show only pen, but all are duel purpose good show birds (all FORs keepers ive met are extremely meticulous about balancing performance with their showing potential.. same with flying Portuguese rollers. where most other breeds are kept for only one purpose, because breeders do not want balanced birds that take any effort or pride anymore, just breed hoardes of useless show only birds that may as well just be stuffed and mounted ornaments.

This is great! Thanks! I'm looking into the Portuguese Tumblers; they seem like a super great bird!

I've only very recently gotten into the Chinese Owl Pigeons but by far despite the breeder calling them "completely feral" these are the nicest birds I've had, they like to be held and are on the smaller side. My birmingham rollers are also very nice birds, though I have a few "rotten eggs" so to say, though funny enough those are my best SHOW birds lol

I love my Old Dutch Capuchines. They are very hardy, neat and clean birds.. and come in many colours. I let them out to fly around the garden.. and they are good flyers too. Easy to breed. No need to trim feathers.

I also like German Owl pigeons (but I can not get them in my country.. so sad).

I have white homers also.. which are beautiful when flying.

My fantails are also very nice. Fantails get super tame and calm... the standard (American, Garden) fantails with no feathers on the feet are able to fly well. Don't get the show quality ones with the heads far back on the body if you want them to be able to fly about the garden.. that kind can't see where it is going lol.

Really there are so many kinds to choose from... its all down to personal choice really. But to meet your description I would say avoid heavy bodies breeds, or birds with excess feathering on their feet.. these are not good at flying.

Don't get the show quality ones with the heads far back on the body
I do not know much about fantails but I agree with your statement. I am a homer person and that is all I have in my loft. I would like to have a pair or so of fantails. I thought the Indian fantail was the only type of bird without the lay back neck. Something like this is what I desire.
Ind Fantail.jpg

Don't get the show quality ones with the heads far back on the body
I do not know much about fantails but I agree with your statement. I am a homer person and that is all I have in my loft. I would like to have a pair or so of fantails. I thought the Indian fantail was the only type of bird without the lay back neck. Something like this is what I desire.
View attachment 1211243

Back
Top Bottom