Beginner Quail Owner

Discussion in 'Quail' started by buczfan4, Jan 22, 2015.

1. buczfan4

buczfan4 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    I got some quail from a guy who comes to my work, they were only a day old and i knew nothing about them. They are now almost 2 months old and I'm not sure what kind of quail they are. They also aren't laying, i'm not sure how old quail have to be to start laying. Currently feeding them a 30 percent protein gamebird feed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bobwhitekeeper

bobwhitekeeper Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Rhiroy lochbroom
    The brown coloured ones are called coturnix quail and the males have a more orange chest than the females. They will start laying when the days get brighter. Good luck keeping them

1 person likes this.
  3. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Correction: all colours above are coturnix quail, the brown ones are called Pharaoh (the colour variety), the white is a Texas A&M, and there looks to be some mixes in there. they should be laying soon, they take anywhere from 6-12 weeks to start laying. that is unless they've been moved recently in which case the stress would keep them from laying eggs
    cheers

1 person likes this.
  4. shotgunrem14

shotgunrem14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Alabama
    They won't naturally start laying until spring when the days stay brighter longer, at least 14-16 hours. Put a light in the pen on a timer if you want to start getting eggs sooner.

1 person likes this.
  5. buczfan4

buczfan4 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Thank you all for your answers!!

6. shotgunrem14

shotgunrem14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Alabama
    Anytime.

7. bobwhitekeeper

bobwhitekeeper Out Of The Brooder