Beginner question--boys from the girls?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tuskajones, May 18, 2008.

1. tuskajones

tuskajones Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2007
    Sewickley, PA
    Besides vent sexing, how do you tell the males from the females in cornish x? Mine are 5 weeks old today. I ordered all roos but something tells me I have quite a few females in there.......??????

2. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Being a total newbie with chickens, I just thought I'd post. [​IMG]

I could tell she was a hen from about 3 weeks or so. She got a comb REALLY early, but it's remained small and light-colored. She also just "acts" like a hen, walks around without displaying any aggression or dominant tendencies.

That's not too scientific but that's how I knew and was very relieved we had a hen. [​IMG]

Maybe if you posted pics, we could help [​IMG]

Edit: just wanted to mention she's a pet, not a meat chick

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    These were about 8 weeks.Look at their heads and see if you can tell the guys from the gals. Will
    p.s.still want to see the tractor
    [​IMG]

4. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    I think the ones with the smaller combs are females, b/c you have several with large rooster combs, those w/o are possibly females if they are all the same age.

5. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    If they are all the same age and unless I missed one that is visible in the photo, I counted 13 roo's

6. tuskajones

Dec 18, 2007
    Sewickley, PA
    Weeeelll I'll guess the ones with the bright red big combs are the boys. Looks someone at the hatchery got more than 10% sexed wrong with my flock. No big deal I just had a feeling they weren't all roos!

Will--I finally got my pics off my camera and want to make a BYC "my page" within the next few days. I am exhausted taking care of these guys in all this rain and mud!!! How about you up your neck of the woods? I have to say I am pleased with how my pvc tractor has held up in all the storms we have had the last 5 days. It didn't budge in the wind. Between storms I am out there feeding, watering and giving them fresh straw to sit their little chicken butts upon. The straw makes it easier on the lawn as well.

I think I'll build a pvc ark if it keeps raining!!

Kelly

7. willheveland

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    YOU GO GIRL,see you are getting this chicken thing alright.Those hens will be nice and tender.You guys will be eating
    good this winter.
    yes,it is cold and rainy here too.Kinda hurting my start of the harness racing season here.Cold and rain really take the fun out of it.
    Was nice and warm a few weeks ago,kids were bugging me to get an early start on the pool.Got it going last week and they were in the 64 degree water,ok for kids but not dads.Last few days it's been drizzling and the furnace in the house has been kicking on.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing your "my page".
    Where did you end up getting your chicks from? Will

8. tuskajones

Dec 18, 2007
    Sewickley, PA
    [​IMG]

All right having trouble with the"my page" thing so I will try here. Here is a pic of my tractor. Nice thing, I can open the door and add 2 fence panels I made to give them more room to run around during the day when I am around to keep an eye on them. Will note the gutter feeders! Mine aren't as nice as yours with the duct tape and all but they still work great and all of $5 to make!

Kelly

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    At 8 weeks, you can just barely tell them apart. That's why you get a straight run with meat birds, it makes no difference. They all grow the same and will be within ounces of eachother in final weight.

Willheveland's birds look older than 8 weeks to me, but I don't doubt you! I also take my birds into the processor in the canopy of my pickup. I'm sure they jsut love to see me pull into the driveway. "Oh crap, here comes the loose chicken guy again..."

[​IMG]

10. willheveland

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Wow,that is awesome.What a women.I'm jealous.That is a good size.You got all kinds a room to add more if you got the freezer space.I can see now how you can take it down after season,good idea.Love those feeders,nothing hoses out better.If you patent them,I want to be your partner.Thanks for sharing.Great job,my hats off to you.See you at the BBQ. Hope the kids are liking this experience of knowing where their food comes from. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by