Beginner Questions - UK Based

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KareninQuails, Oct 27, 2014.

1. KareninQuails

KareninQuails New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    My first quails arriving soon, so very very excited.
    What should i put on the bottom of my quail house over the wire? (Its a chicken house with an extra wire frame underneath as ground is uneven so wanted it to be rat proof?) Would it be easier for me to get some sort of plastic sheeting (think commercial table cloths!) so i could easily pull it out and put fresh one down (as wooden panels would be too much of a pain) or would quails peck through/eat the plastic?
    Also i have a house 5x2 and the top of the house where the quail would be at night is 2.5x2, is this suitable for 10 birds (2 of them males)?
    Whats the best organic feed?
    Whats the best resource for natural quail keeping using herbs/essential oils etc?
    If im selling them, i understand i cant sell them commercially but can sell on my doorstep - what are the rules around advertising them (for eating eggs) on my FB page and other FB groups or putting posters in shop windows?
    Loads of questions i know! Any advise appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. KareninQuails

KareninQuails New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Thanks for your reply, i have more quesitons based on your response if your open to offering more ideas.

The reason i thought no wire was a. it would not be that comfortable for the quails, b. i want them to be warm enough and c. cleaning the wire and the uneven ground underneath would be alot of work.

I dont have any chickens but good idea, i did clean cage but not with anything hardcore. Is there a natural disinfectant i can use. I was thinking to invest in water gun/blaster type thing would you recommend that?

Below is the product i have found and its for all poultry - Do you think its ok?

Organic Poultry Grower/Finishing Pellets Composition

ORGANIC POULTRY GROWER FINISHING PELLETS Product Code 3521
    The Organic Feed Company, IP25 7SD. Tel: 01362 822903
    A COMPLETE FEED for POULTRY

Ideally feed from 6-8 weeks up until 16 weeks or to finish. Feed on an ad lib basis. For birds that are to be kept as laying hens, introduce Organic Layers Pellets gradually from 16 weeks.
    Available in 5kg and 20kg bags

Protein 16.0% Oil 4.0% Fibre 5.0%

The Lysine and Methionine in this feed are from natural sources - synthetic amino acids are not used in this feed.

Composition:
    Organic Wheat, Organic Full Fat Soya, Organic Peas, Organic Alfalfa, Organic Maize, Yeast, Di-Calcium Phosphate,Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Organic Linseed

Soil Association approved organic P2517 GB-Org-005
    • 100% organically grown, agricultural ingredients
    • Rich in Omega 3 oils
    • There are no synthetic vitamins or minerals in this feed.
    • The Organic Feed Company only source identity preserved (Hard IP) Non-GM ingredients.
    • The Organic Feed Company feeds are made from natural ingredients which can result in the feed changing colour slightly through the seasons.

4. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    The food you've listed is too low in protein. My advice would be too read a lot on this forum for each top, food, housing etc, or even invest in a good book. (I've listed my top favourite books in another thread, ). It is very easy to get a whole lot wrong at the beginning, which would spoil your quail keeping. So keep asking and invest in a good book, would be my advice.
    I use wood shavings from Tesco on the floor and sometimes wire, but only if they have a sand bath too.
    Good luck!

5. dc3085

I use 10% bleach solution and sunlight to clean. UVs are great disinfectants. Some people say ACV but I don't see how clean you can get something wiping cultured bacteria all over it.

If you can't find game bird feed, try looking for turkey starter. Also make sure if you have quail roosters that you are feeding feeds with less than 1% infused calcium.

6. cotquail

cotquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2013
    Outaouais, Quebec, Canada
    Vinegar with a ph of 3 or less is a qualified disinfectant been used for years, created by fermentation like most antibiotics,UV from the sun is a, fairy tale regards disinfecting, hardly any short wave Utraviolet reaches the earth, Wikipedia re ultraviolet explains this and the germicidal wavelength necessary for disinfecting.The atmosphere absorbs pretty much all short length uv. Stick with the vinegar .

7. dc3085

Provide the research so that I may fully understand the extent of the fairy tale please.

8. cotquail

Nov 13, 2013
    Ultraviolet C

UVC
    280 – 100 nm 4.43 – 12.4 eV
    short wave, germicidal, completely absorbed by the ozone layer and atmosphere
    The atmosphere blocks about 77% of the Sun's UV, almost entirely in the shorter UV wavelengths, when the Sun is highest in the sky (zenith). Of the ultraviolet radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, more than 95% is the longer wavelengths of UVA, with the small remainder UVB.[18] The fraction of UVB which remains in UV light after passing through the atmosphere is heavily dependent on cloud cover and atmospheric conditions.
    The shorter bands of UVC, as well as even more-energetic UV radiation produced by the Sun, generate the ozone in the ozone layer when single oxygen atoms produced by UV photolysis of dioxygen react with more dioxygen. The ozone layer is especially important in blocking UVB and the remaining part of UVC, since some of UVC and all wavelengths shorter than UVC are already blocked by ordinary air.

1. David Hambling (29 May 2002). "Let the light shine in". The Guardian.
    2. Solar radiation
    3. Solar constant at ground level
    4. "Reference Solar Spectral Irradiance: Air Mass 1.5". Retrieved 2009-11-12.

1 person likes this.
  9. dc3085

Good stuff. I love learning new things but I'm never going to take someone's word for it without empirical data to support it.

10. cotquail

Nov 13, 2013
    Ya kinda like weapons of mass destruction. Moisture, temperature, are the common variables with germs and bacteria that naturally are effected , the sun affects these drying and warming ,but it is considered that there are more effective means . Alot of sanitizers use ph balance , acids and bases,since most communicable germs and bacteria are surface borne, liquids are considered the most effective coverage and penetration to surface indentations,Oxygen based sanitizers and rinse free types are becoming the thing. user safe and food safe, less caustic and environmentally risky.I use alot of these in fermentation .Idophor , Five Star products like powdered brewery wash. Most edible type vinegar is in the range of 5 % cleaning grade is 10 % available at walmart and other places if you look hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by