Beginner Questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaitling, Apr 5, 2016.

1. kaitling

kaitling Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Hi,

So I am going to get 2 ducklings. I am brand new to birds and I want to start with ducks. I have some questions. First, how do two drakes do together without a female? Or how does a male act with a female towards people? Do they get aggressive? Also, my biggest concern is keeping my brooder fire safe. I plan on leaving the ducklings in my house/garage area in the brooder while I am at work. For some reason fire danger never crossed my mind until I was reading on the internet, that alone made me want to re think getting duckling. I originally planned on a big 50 gal Rubbermaid Tub from walmart. Would metal be safer? Please help!

Thank you

2. bondfamily007

bondfamily007 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2016
    TX
    I made a brooder for mine out of the blue insulation board. Walls and floor. Keeps them off the cold concrete and fireproof.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I use a kennel with a regular light bulb, though this year for chicks I bought a heating pad, but it was big, so I then bought a heat mat at TSC (they were on super sale) and the chicks just sat on that and were quite happy. I'm thinking ducks would be fine with a heat mat or maybe even a heating pad cave. There is info on that in the raising baby chicks forum - it stays toward the top.

4. kaitling

kaitling Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    That is helpful, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by