Beginner to duck raising - HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmberCamilia, Jan 5, 2017.

1. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello all! I'm new here, so I hope I set this up right. Anyway, I decided not too long ago that I wanted to raise two baby Pekin ducklings (male and female). I ordered the pair and they should be here Wednesday, January 11. I have my brooder prepared and I purchased all of the necessary feed and equipment, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all. There are a few questions I was hoping to get some answers to, any and all information will be deeply appreciated!:

1) Does the brooder need to be 95 degrees at the beginning? When do I need to drop this?
    2) Will a non-medicated chick starter feed be sufficient for feeding or do I need to add any supplements or anything else?
    3) When can I introduce my ducklings to swimming water? For how long at a time?
    4) When can they start going outside for short periods of time?
    5) I've heard of duck diapers.. Can I use them ASAP? Where's the best place to buy them?
    6) I've heard that Pekins don't raise babies often, is this true?

That's all of the questions I can think of right now, but if there's something you think I should know, please tell me! Again, I will appreciate all information given. Thank you!

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I never really kept my Brooder at any set temp.....They will let you know by peeping or panting....I always have a safe zone so they can either get closer to the heat or away from it.....

I can purchase Duck Starter.....I know others us the unmedicated Chick starter and add Niacin also........

Ducklings can swim after day two....10 minutes at a time....I fill the tub so they can stand up once pooped out and have it a bit deeper by the drain.....Dry them off and pop back into the brooder and they dry very quickly....

They can go out on warm days to follow you around...No WIND......You will know when they get cold or tired...They peep their little heads off...lol

Do not know about Duck diapers........

Not sure about Pekins as Mothers.......

Cheers!

3. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    On the note of duck diapers.... Not sure if they exist but.

Pekin ducks are insanely messy birds, even at a young age. To avoid bacteria build up you'd be changing diapers every two hours. Which wouldnt be much fun.

When I had my Pekin babies I had a stack of towels ready to go. I gave them one new big towel in the morning and one at night. Towels make it easy because you can roll them and the mess right up and throw it in the washer.

Not the most energy efficient way... But the easiest way to deal with Pekin dudu that I know of.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Puppy training pads is what I use.....Garbage and no Duck poop in my washing machine...........All Ducklings are very messy.....You either love it or say never again....lol.......

Cheers!

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL

1) Does the brooder need to be 95 degrees at the beginning? When do I need to drop this?
    No, but an area of the brooder needs to be on the warm side (90ish) with areas that are cooler so they can move about as they are comfortable. You don't want an entirely hot or an entirely cold brooder.

2) Will a non-medicated chick starter feed be sufficient for feeding or do I need to add any supplements or anything else?
    non-medicated will be fine if you add niacin. You can get it from the health food store. you can add it to their water. You don't want the flush free kind.

3) When can I introduce my ducklings to swimming water? For how long at a time?
    If you ordered them and they are being shipped, I'd let them settle the first day and then let them swim the next.
    If you have a paint tray, that can work for initial swims. Or fill the sink and stand there while they have a quick swim. If not the sink, I give them something to stand on that gets them out of the water. Since they aren't getting the oil from mom, they need to get their own gland working and swimming will help that. But because they aren't waterproof yet, don't over do it with swim time - they will let you know when they've had enough. Probably 5 mins the first time (if that) and they will gradually build up. Never leave a young duckling in water alone, they can get waterlogged quickly and drown.
    After swim time, dry them off with a towel and plop them in their brooder to dry.

4) When can they start going outside for short periods of time?
    where are you located? It will depend on the weather outside. You don't want their first trips to be cold and rainy. If it is decent out, then go out with them and they will let you know when they've had enough and want to return to the warm spot in their brooder.

5) I've heard of duck diapers.. Can I use them ASAP? Where's the best place to buy them?
    never used them. I've used puppy pads and towels.

6) I've heard that Pekins don't raise babies often, is this true?
    depends on the duck. Some are happy to be broody, others not so much.

Good luck and enjoy them.

1 person likes this.
  6. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies! I was surprised to learn how quickly the ducklings can be introduced to swimming water, but relieved it can be soon!

I found a couple links for duck diapers and I may look into that some more. I was hoping to keep my ducks as indoor/outdoor babes. Inside at night, outside during the day. Not sure how that will pan out though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by