Beginner with ???

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Markgyver, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Markgyver

Markgyver In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Hello,
    I would like to raise a flock of guinea fowl in Adams, Ny. We have 10 acres with a 500+ feet of stream and over 3 acres of mowed lawn.
    I was thinking if starting with around 10-12 birds. My biggest question as of now is about the coop.
    The house used to have a small veterinary clinic in it. So there is water in the old clinic and then a small storage room off the back of clinic. Off the storage room there is a kennel that is 10x12’ and about 6’6” high. The roof does not extend over the kennel but I can make it so they don’t get rained on. The kennel has as I said a man door going into house, actually behind garage. Chain link fence with a gate to go into backyard. The floor is black top with concrete curb.
    So I’m thinking this is a great spot to cool them as it will be easy for me to keep feed and water right inside the house and the prebuilt pest proof kennel. But the thing I’m not sure of is if I extend a tarp or something over kennel the roof would be about 6’ high with pitch, is this high enough? And also what about the black top floor, I figure hay can cover it but just wasn’t sure if it would be a PIA to clean or bad for the guinea.
    Any advice is appreciated! Thanks, Markgyver!
    And remember you can’t break broken, but I can probably fix it

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I don't keep guineas so I can't really offer you my advice. I'm just welcoming you to our community.

moniquem, 007Sean, Melky and 3 others like this.
  3. Markgyver

Markgyver In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Thanks, glad to join and get some help! I’ve only raised dogs and a wife.
    Dogs are good, wife is still a work in progress

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I'll bet she feels the same about you! ;)

slippednfell, 007Sean, Melky and 3 others like this.
  5. Markgyver

Markgyver In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    She sure does but she educated 6 year olds so all I have to do is act 7 and I’m doing ok

007Sean, HuffleClaw, Melky and 4 others like this.
  6. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I hope the guinea folks can help you out coz as with many things in life I got no clue :p

I aspire to act 7 years old, but as long as it remains a dream I’m happy enough :)

rjohns39, 007Sean, Melky and 3 others like this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community.

rjohns39 and Melky like this.
  9. Camellia

Camellia Songster

May 14, 2019
    Austria
    welcome to byc! We're glad to have you :wee

Guinea fowl can be a hassle (they're so loud), I wish you the best of luck with them!

10. Markgyver

Markgyver In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Well I have a tick problem in the grassy wood line. Found several on dogs. Removed a few from myself and have caught at least a dozen more racing across my skin looking for the honey hole.
    My friend had them so I know what you mean but I don’t mind. They should have plenty of space to “spread their wings”. And if they get too obnoxious I can name them all dinner or freezer.

rjohns39, 007Sean and Melky like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: