beginner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Saharr1, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Saharr1

Saharr1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Southwest Wyoming
    well as i was typing and almost done when everything was erased, here we go again with mouse turned off.

this is such a great site, while doing research happened here, there is more info than one can handle.

i have raised livestock in the past but never chickens, having a new place thought it was about time to give it a go. i believe it will fit our life style well. we live in wyoming on a couple acres.
    last week i purchased; welsummers (5), road island whites(5), and 2 broilers, tomorrow i am getting some jeserys and wyndotts.

i hope to learn alot form this and maybe even lesson the amount of mistakes rookies make. only thing i am worried about at the moment is building the coop and run strong enough to withstand eagles, fox, racoon, skunk, great horned owls. i know its a list where only a fortress will do.

i am looking foward to meeting everyone here and learning alot.

have a great day
    Shane

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Congrats on getting your first flock.

If you haven't already done so, you should visit the Learning Center and the Coops forums.
    Once you get the basic coop plans going, post pics under the Coop forums for specific suggestions.

We have the same list of predators here as well as occasional coyote and stray dog - so I don't let my flock free range, they live in an all-in one coop/run and allow them in a semi protected area only when we are overseeing them.

Good luck in the new adventure.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

Joining your state thread will put you in contact with other BYC members in your area, which can be very helpful.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

4. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hi :frow welcome to BYC! I have a Wellsummer :) I must say she is my favorite! Enjoy!

5. Saharr1

Saharr1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Southwest Wyoming
    thanks everyone,

coyotes arn't much problem we heep them thinned out.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] I recommend using 1/4 inch hardware cloth (super strong mesh wire) instead of chicken wire, make sure you completely predator proof your coop and run.

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Shane,

I hope you enjoy raising chickens, they are fun and addictive little things. Plus, of course, the eggs are great.

Thanks for joining us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. GallosConMadre

GallosConMadre Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Houston Texas
    Hey welcome saharr1! Big hello from texas! Im new member to the byc as well but have been raising all types of fowl for about 8 years now. One thing I can tell is the learning center here is awesome for questions and all sorts of ideas. I always browsed before becoming a member

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by