Beginner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by McBride55, Mar 2, 2013.

1. McBride55

McBride55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    Hi everyone I am considering getting some chickens for egg laying. I have been looking up all the basics online and at my local Tractor Supply. I stumbled across this forum and decided to give it a try also.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum. If you enjoy animals, then you will like raising chickens for eggs. It is great that you are doing lots of research. Not all the employees at Tractor Supply know a lot about chickens. I have heard of clueless staff selling meat birds to people who wanted to get egg layers when the chicks were mixed up in the bin. It is probably not common, but just be careful.

I hope you enjoy your chicken endeavor as much as I have.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, McBride55, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock!!! Best of luck with your new chicks!!!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. McBride55

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    I have been talking to the assistant mgr at out tractor supply store for over a year about this. He has raised hens for laying in the past. With that I am looking at possibly getting 6 rhoad island reds to start. They are an all around hardy bird and are more tolorant of weather changes. At least that is what I have read.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That sounds great. I'm glad the Tractor Supply has someone with such chicken experience.

7. McBride55

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    He is also helping me with plans for my coup/run. I am waiting until they get the Rhode Island pullets next month, right noe they only have straight run. This gives me time to build a brooding area in a spare bedroom.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills!

Ummm... Would you consider Plymouth Rock - Barred (commonly called "Barred Rocks") over Rhode Island Reds? They're excellent layers, very hardy, and I find them friendlier than RIRs.

Just my personal opinion....

9. McBride55

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    I would have to look into them. My thoughts were start with what TSC had and as I get used to raising ckickens I can reaserch other breeds. I am open to any suggestions, just didn't know if I wanted to get into ordering just yet.

10. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hello [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by