beginners incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gunnarwordon, Mar 10, 2012.

1. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    what is the best beginners incubator priced below 190 dollars?

2. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    My boyfriend bought me an incubator (YES! He approved of my madness!) off ebay for a really good price. It hasn't come in the mail yet but according to the tracking number it's in Oklahoma City, from North Carolina to New Mexico.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-H...&ps=63&clkid=6904906293075347705#ht_883wt_698

It comes with everything; turbo fan, egg turner, the works. Cost him $84.84 after shipping.

Click on the link, quick! I think the "auction" is ending in a few more hours!

3. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    and it holds 50 eggs! that's more than enough........

4. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    For now, yes. However, we plan on moving back east some day (I'm originally from NC) and having a small homestead. We're planning on raising at least 50 chickens to start.

Pigs, cows and ducks come later.

5. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    I think that's all of our dreams.................

6. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    If you don't mind turning the eggs yourself, I highly recommend the Hovabator 1588 Genesis. In fact, depending on where you get it, you may be able to add an egg turner for under $190. The Genesis has an electronic thermostat and digital display and control right at the top, so you can change temperature just by pressing the arrows. http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

That is if you are looking to incubate a larger number of eggs. If you want only a smaller amount, Brinseas are great little incubators. Probably with that amount you'd only be able to get a mini, advance is a good little incubator and eco is up there, too. Good price, but only 7 chicken eggs. Thus the Genesis is a very good idea if a larger capacity is a necessity for you.

It's just my opinion, but, if you have around $190 to spend on an incubator, it is best to spend as much as you can; an incubator with an electronic thermostat and such easy temp. control as the Genesis is going to make life a lot easier.

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    You probably have enough things at home right now to make an incubator,styrofoam cooler, light bulb, glass from an old picture frame, you may have to buy a thermostat, thermometer/hygrometer, eggs. With these things you can start incubating with success. After the first hatch you will start buying more and more and more things, but this will get you started. Check out you tube, there are alot of home made incubators there, made from cardboard boxes, cupboards, dresser drawers, just about anything you can imagine. Good Luck.

8. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    x2! Hands down, the best one you'll get at this price range. I used one as a beginner last year and just ordered another. [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA: The new ones with the digital display that adrian mentioned are normal, full-price right now, but you can get the older model for $110 on some sites and add the turner. You'd be under $190 with shipping. The "older" model is the classic that has been out for years and works great.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Very true, if you get the older model it will be less. I have an older one myself, and although I find it a little bit bothersome to set, once it is set it is pretty solid. In fact I can't say I've ever had to look twice at my temperatures in that incubator. If the digital display is not a big deal for you, the older model is not much of a compromise at all.

10. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    yeah, everybody recommends the hovabator 1588...... guess i'll have to buy one! do they sell them at TSC, Agway, Blue Seal and the like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by