Beginner's luck!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, May 16, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I recently lent my incubator to a 7-year-old friend who wanted to try hatching out some chicks from her Araucanas. I gave her mum the instruction booklet as well as some advice about when to raise the humidity and how to remove the automatic turning rollers. I don't think her mum paid too much attention to any of it, as we went round for a look on day 20 just after the first chicks had started pipping, and the humidity was down about 50% and the eggs were still sitting on the rollers. They hadn't switched the turner off for lockdown and the eggs had been turned every hour right up until a few hours after the first pip. They also hadn't candled at all and so we had no idea what to expect.

The kid was so excited that she forgot our advice and tried to 'help' the first couple of chicks out and at least one of them bled to death. There was a second very ropey looking bloody egg still sitting in the bator when I last looked in on Saturday night, but I don't know yet if that one made it out okay or not. I texted her mum for an update last night, which was the end of day 21...

And she has at least 9 chicks hatched out, from 14 eggs set.

Which is a better result than I normally get! [​IMG]

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    that just shows us that nothing is written in stone. good story and lucky people [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, she's done really well on her first ever attempt. I'm not sure whether I should be proud cause she was using my bator - nobody else she knew wanted to lend a 7-year-old kid their expensive bators - or slightly miffed that she has done better than I normally manage. And I think she's going to be setting another batch of eggs as soon as she gets the bator cleaned out. Maybe I should ask for a chick as rental payment for use of my bator and Ecoglow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by