beginner's question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurenLauren2007, Nov 20, 2011.

1. LaurenLauren2007

LaurenLauren2007 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    We recently bought our first flock from Ideal. We started with a mix of 12 pullets (2 light brahmas, 2 gold laced wyandottes, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 australorps, 2 ameraucanas, and 2 barred plymouth rocks) and ended up with 9 packing peanuts!!! I had no idea there would be that many, but now that we have these little extras I'd like to know what the heck they are. I've narrowed it down to RIR, New Hampshire, or Production Reds. To a noob these breeds look a lot alike starting out. They are now 5 weeks old. They started out with very pale yellow down, but started feathering out white and dark brown on their wings. They are now a light red with very little white or brown showing.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:can you please post some pics it will help a lot better

3. LaurenLauren2007

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Sorry it took me a little while to figure it out [​IMG]

4. LaurenLauren2007

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    These are pictures of their first day outside. They absolutely LOVED it. Under close watch of course....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I don't know what breed, but the "packaging peanuts" are almost always boys.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:x2
    It's how they get rid of extra rooster chicks by offering them "free".

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    try posting pics when they are 12 weeks its hard to tell what they are. i at least see 3 roos with the red ones. i would guess New Hampshire though

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Yeah, packing peanuts are the roos that nobody wants. Looks like you have almost as many roos as pullets

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Hopefully you got one or two female packing peanuts. They do look rooish to me. I think it's kind of harsh for them to send you all those extra roos. Especially if you can't have roos where you live.

Not sure what they are though [​IMG]

10. LaurenLauren2007

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yeah we were thinking 12 hens would be more than enough considering it was 68 degrees the day they shipped out, and it was overnight shipping! I guess they thought.....what's 9 roosters? I really don't want a crowing contest or a cock fighting ring in our front yard so needless to say we will be eating original and extra crispy for dinner. Thanks for your comments sand I look forward to any other educated guesses [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by