Beginning at the beginning... Chicks yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FluffYou, Feb 3, 2012.

1. FluffYou

FluffYou New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    I live in an area where you can only keep up to four fowl, no roosters allowed. I am planning on having three hens, however, I really don't know if I should try and pick up some chicks from one of the many feed stores you can find in Central Texas, LOL, or if I need to start with older birds that have been accurately sexed. After all, I can't order 25 birds from a hatchery--having that many chicks is just not a possibility. And I am afraid to just take the word of someone off of Craigslist or at a feed store that the chick I am getting is female. After all, if this mistake is made, what do I do with the cockerel? I can't keep him without violating city code and it's pretty obvious that young roosters are not particularly sought after. Is it worth it to pay the $30 extra or so from a hatchery that will send 3 sexed chicks to me with a heating pad, should I try to find older birds (maybe on Craigslist), or should I just get them from a feed store and try and re-home any roosters I get stuck with. Your advice would be very much appreciated!!! :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I would suggest you look on Craigslist in your area and find someone selling young pullets that are about to start laying or have just started laying eggs. These will be old enough that you can tell they are pullets. You also won't have to have all the extra preparations for caring for chicks.

You should be able to find some good pullets for less than $15 each, and sometimes people even give away chickens.

3. seclusionfarms

seclusionfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl
    I'd look for a local breeder and then contact them to see if they have any hens available for purchase. I know at least for florida there is a thread that tells where the different people who posted there are from, then you can look under their information to see if they have a website which will give you their contact information and sometimes the chickens available for purchase. Hope that helps :) and [​IMG]

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I have the same thing (only we are allowed 20 - and I just wanted 4), so I just took the plunge and ordered 4 sexed chickens so I could be choosy about the breed and be guaranteed that they were females. I can't wait to get them!!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sexing from the hatcheries is only 90% effective. Even with "sexed" birds, you can get a male.

To the OP: Some feed stores will take back any sexed chicks that turn out to be males. This may be a good option for you.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Further, some feed stores sell sex linked chicks. These will be virtually 100% the right sex. Raising out a bird is expensive and selling it is always iffy. I'd just be sure, sure to have pullets.

7. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Where in Texas are you located? I am in Elgin (outside of Austin) and am selling black sex links. They should be very acurate to sex, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. I normally only sell 25 at a time but I have my first hatched scheduled for March 2 and I will probably have a few pullets left over. Let my know it you are interested. They will be $2.25 each since it is a smaller # of chicks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. Janie1968

Janie1968 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    A couple of years back we purchased 21 chicks from My Pet Chicken. We paid the extra money for females and lucked out that all were hens. :) They don't have minimum orders since they have a little warming coil that keeps the chicks warm as they travel to your home.

9. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Meyer and Mypetchicken only have a 3 chick minimum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by