Beginning of Scaly Leg Mites

HilaryAkin

Songster
May 23, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
I was doing my last application of poultry dust for a mild case of northern fowl mites (fingers crossed they’re gone!) and was checking my hens feet while I had a hold of them. I noticed one that made me wonder about scaly leg mites. Does this look like the beginning stages? This would be my first time dealing with them. Both types of mites at once?! I hope not! I clean their coop once a week and they’re outside most of the day but do like to congregate in a smaller coop for when we integrate babies, though I clean that one often too….

Attachments

• 30BF9EE6-E061-4B69-A074-7AD6A50D46E5.jpeg
    30BF9EE6-E061-4B69-A074-7AD6A50D46E5.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 564AA045-77BF-4A41-8BD6-A3876D810A0A.jpeg
    564AA045-77BF-4A41-8BD6-A3876D810A0A.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 99A0E6EA-B8DB-4798-B8A2-4A745BC8923E.jpeg
    99A0E6EA-B8DB-4798-B8A2-4A745BC8923E.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 25
That doesn't scream scaly leg mites to me, but they are so much easier to deal with than other mites. If you you are concerned, just start coating their legs with coconut oil, vegetable oil, or vaseline a couple times a week. If there are any mites there that should drown them. Push it gently upwards under the scales. If it gets any worse you can look into other stronger options. I have mixed vetrx with coconut oil and had great results.

That doesn't scream scaly leg mites to me, but they are so much easier to deal with than other mites. If you you are concerned, just start coating their legs with coconut oil, vegetable oil, or vaseline a couple times a week. If there are any mites there that should drown them. Push it gently upwards under the scales. If it gets any worse you can look into other stronger options. I have mixed vetrx with coconut oil and had great results.
Would cooking spray work just as well?

Not as well, because you are suffocating them, but if all you can do is cooking oil you would need to do it more often. Hopefully it will work still.

Not as well, because you are suffocating them, but if all you can do is cooking oil you would need to do it more often. Hopefully it will work still.
C21EA67E-CE4E-4335-9BEF-10E7E6B50FB1.jpeg

I’m not 100% sure my chickens have them, but a couple of my silkies’ legs are looking a bit white. Does this look like SLM?

It is a little hard to see, but that does look like it. You can follow the instructions in the article. It is good that you caught it early, but you will want to treat everyone. I made that mistake, and it became widespread eventually.

Thank you for confirming. I think I’ll just dip his feet (and my other chickens’ feet) in oil every day. They don’t look that bad right now, just a little concerning, so I’m hoping it won’t take long to resolve 🤞🏼.

You will want them to stand in it for a couple minutes to make sure they really get suffocated, but that should work fine.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom