Beginning showing.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FlyingtheCoop, Mar 3, 2012.

1. FlyingtheCoop

FlyingtheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I have an Ameraucana pullet that I think I might like to show, but I don't want to be laughed out of the building. I don't have any interest in breeding, but I think it would be a fun way to spend some more time with the chickens and like minding people. I'd love some tips to get started about SOP, preparing the bird for showing, etc. Thanks in advance!

2. FlyingtheCoop

Aug 25, 2010
    I can't believe no one has advice!

3. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Not every one gets online everyday... give it a few days... I'd offer advise but I've only ever shown dogs <and one rabbit once>

4. try and loook it up yourself, or grab a book, thats what i did [​IMG]

5. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    just be sure she is an ameraucana & not an easter egger. [​IMG]

6. spangledcornish

spangledcornish Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Southwest, WI
    there are may things to consider when showing a bird, as the previous comment make sure it is a true ameraucana.

here is photo of a blue from the ameraucana breeders association there is a lot of good information here on the breed http://ameraucana.org/faq.html

[​IMG]

7. FlyingtheCoop

Aug 25, 2010
    yes she is true. She was purchased from an ABC breeder. She's a wheaten. Obviously not as perfect as the pictures on the breed site though! I guess that's why I was wondering if I should try. I'd be in it for fun, but I don't want to offend anyone there.

8. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    I don't see why anybody should be offended. I don't think most people mean to come across as nasty or offended, they are just upset about all the misinformation concerning easter eggers. Since she is true ameraucana that's mostly irrelevant anyways. I'd love to see a picture, I'm in love with wheaten ameraucanas. [​IMG] What color are her eggs? Are they really blue? My mom is bugging me to get some of those 'really blue' eggs she's seen online.

9. FlyingtheCoop

Aug 25, 2010
    This is a quick pic I took of her this morning.[​IMG]

10. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    she's really cute! thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by