Beginning to think my duck eggs failed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moondance, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Moondance

Moondance Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    On March 3rd at our local livestock auctions, I purchased a batch of 12 fertilised Indian Runner Duck eggs.

15 days into incubating them in my Janoel, I candled the eggs to find 4 were complete fails and I had 8 viable eggs.
    Duck eggs take 28 days to hatch according to all information sources.

My incubator has ticked over to Day 29 from the day I put the eggs into the incubator. TWO have started hatching, but in a 12 hour period, they've only successfully managed to make a hole big enough to push their beaks through... I first noticed that they were hatching at about 5am, its now 9:48pm and the progress hasn't been a lot. I don't know how normal or not normal this is, as I've never hatched ducklings before, only chickens. Am I supposed to HELP them or something??

Now, as for the other 6 eggs? I can't hear any peeping from them, no tapping, they're quiet as the grave in there... How much longer should I give them before I just cut my losses?

2. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    From what I have read ducks take a long time from pip to hatch.

3. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    Well, the first 2 hatched.... but the other 6 I've still not heard a sound coming from them.
    They're still quiet and nothing appears to be happening, a day later than it should have started.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    They're so cute. Congrats! Good luck with the other eggs [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. How sweet. :fl for the others. :thumbsup

6. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    My little bubs are out in their brooder. One of them is "sunning" itself under the light. LOL.

7. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    Still nothing on the egg front.... :'(
    Hatchery isn't getting off to a very good start, our first ever batch of eggs and only 2 have hatched out of a dozen originally.

Not good.

8. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    Incubator has officially turned over to Day 30 and the other 6 eggs haven't even peeped. I think they're dead.
    Can anybody tell me what I should be seeing if I were to candle them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by