Beginnings of Broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluckyJay, Nov 16, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Chocolate my bantam RIR has laid five eggs. I penned her up and forgot to put the eggs in her new pen for a night. She wasn't sitting on them, just continued to lay an egg a day in her secret place. I just added them in her new pen this morning and now she is rolling them around and sitting on them. She gets up to eat and drink but is now sleeping on the eggs.

Do you think she may go broody? I am doubtful the eggs will hatch but am wondering if she's beginning broody. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sounds a little like.

Somewhere I saw (maybe it was on this forum) if the hen will stay on the nest for 2-days, then she is broody.

I have one that I am not exactly sure where she is in the process either, she will sit on the nest at times during the day, and she settles in the nest at night. I have fake eggs -- each time she lays a new one, I remove and replace with a fake. If she is truly going to be broody, I will acquire some fertile eggs and see where it goes from there.

Keep us updated. Post back when you know for sure---and how you are sure..... ;O)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Try and pet her or move her. If she fluffs up or makes growling noises at you...then she is broody.

4. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I'll try tomorrow! Thanks guys. If she is broody on fertile eggs, it may be golden sebright x bantam RIR cross!

Daddy

[​IMG]

Mommy

[​IMG]

5. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    My hens have always roosted on their roost never in a nest. If I think one is going to go broody
    I check on her when its time to settle in on her roost. If she is all cuddled up on her eggs, I count this as day one.

6. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    She decided to run around this morning. One egg is out of the nest and I believe she is a bad broody for now, hehe.

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There you go....she was on the edge. If it changes and she starts again...re post. Mine is on the nest today and it is coolish. She was on the nest all night...maybe this is day 1? good luck!

ETA: nice chicken pictures and chocolate is a really apt name for your RIR hen.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks!

I hope your lady goes broody and hatches out a lot!

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    She's pretty young, yet. I bet she goes broody eventually, though. Maybe spring? I have one EE that rolls the egg around and sits on it for a little while after she lays. She doesn't sleep there but I suspect she's my most likely candidate for a future broody. The others just lay and go.

10. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yeah, chocolate was hatched in I think, March of this year. Maybe she'll surprise us, who knows. I miss chicks though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by