Behaivor---(whats up)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phalenbeck, Aug 14, 2008.

1. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I lost 4 hens to a raccoon (I think). All 4 girls were active, followed me around, ran all over the yard. They were 2 black and 2 red local chickens from the feed store. To replace them I got some bantem silkeys and alough they look healthy and pretty they are slow moving and seeming to lack the personality of the first 4. Are Bantem silkeys quiet, passive and calm? So far they seem like beauty queens, pretty but shallow. Am I missing somehing.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Probably due to the fact that they're new & not used to the environment yet. Remember, you had the previous 4 trained, even if it seemed normal to you. You'll have to teach these new girls that you're a source of food.

Bring them food every time you see them. Call them to you & reward with food. You'll have silkie shadows before you know it!

3. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Thanks JennPeeps for the logical information. The silkeys are new and from a breeding farm. I quess I was expecting replacement as they are around the same age as the ones I lost. Maybe it is like my wife said today that she has been training me for 15 years, and I still need improvement, and I had some pretty strong previous training. I will stay after them, and I assume that in time they will develop personality. If they do not at least I have pretty and calm. I hope they do not turn out normal as nobody else here is normal.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Silkies move slower than a lot of other breeds becuase their plumage gets in the way of their sight, they can't see as well, and move with less confidence.

I've seen silkies walk into a wall right in front of them.

You can trim their plumage and watch their personality change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by