Behavior and weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UNCLEG, Sep 3, 2008.

1. UNCLEG

UNCLEG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Hello. just a quick question or opinion request.

My normally docile, quiet, could care less about the guy feeding them hens, all of a sudden started freaking out today. Flying erradically around the pens like someone was chasing them.

Anyway do you guess it could have something to do with the weather, I'm on the east coast, SC to be exact, any of you reckon it could have something to do with the possiable tropical weather we may be getting in the next day or so??

G

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Could they have seen a predator that you didn't? Or been frightened of something they aren't used to?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That would be my first guess too. Something that you're not aware of probably spooked them.

4. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Are they laying yet? If not they may start soon, I have an EE my husband calls Crazy Lacey she is gonna start laying soon and she has started the same reaction to me too. I was told they are getting into the hen stage and are confused. Just my opinion.

5. UNCLEG

UNCLEG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    The hens in that pen are all 2-3 years of age... Yall may be right something may have spooked them before I got home.

Thanx.
    G

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I suspect you have a predator lurking around.

7. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    You could try putting a light outside the coop at night to try to ward off some predators it seems to work at our house. Plus you can see them if there are preds lurking about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by