Behavior before laying

Chickening101

Chirping
Apr 20, 2017
Los Angeles CA
One of my hens started laying two days ago (just got another egg!), and I'm suspecting that another one of my hens is going to start laying, but she's acting really weird. She's keeping her mouth open, running around frantically, and checking out the nesting boxes.
Is it normal for hens to act weird before laying for the first time?

I've had a couple that act similar to yours...I think that first time or two is kind of confusing to them :D

I've had a couple that act similar to yours...I think that first time or two is kind of confusing to them :D
Yeah I think that's the case, but unlike the other hens, she's avoiding the nesting box, and she wants to be in this bush..I know it's not good to form habits like laying in a bush, but I'm scared she'll hurt herself if I don't let her. SHould I?

If you haven't already, try putting artificial eggs in the nesting boxes (you can use plastic ones, wooden ones, even something like golf balls). Maybe she just needs to be shown where to lay.

My first girl to lay was running around, searching, like she lost a ring.
This was going on for a couple of days. She started to make a nest on the floor of the coop. I picked her up and put her in a nest box, and she stayed. About a half hour later she sang. Yep she laid her first egg. 20160730_134940.jpg . The brown egg. GC

This was going on for a couple of days. She started to make a nest on the floor of the coop. I picked her up and put her in a nest box, and she stayed. About a half hour later she sang. Yep she laid her first egg.View attachment 1318845. The brown egg. GC
Thanks! Good to know i actually think the hen who was acting crazy is laying now so...yeah thanks for the help! Appreciated!

This was going on for a couple of days. She started to make a nest on the floor of the coop. I picked her up and put her in a nest box, and she stayed. About a half hour later she sang. Yep she laid her first egg.View attachment 1318845. The brown egg. GC
She's almost done laying! Will send pic of the egg later!n Again thanks GC-Raptor

This is her egg! Will send u vid of her laying...
It’s the most beautiful first egg I’ve every seen! FIRST

Attachments

• 7214F59C-34AD-4B73-985E-264012C11904.jpeg
    7214F59C-34AD-4B73-985E-264012C11904.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 141

Back
Top Bottom