Behavior change with the colder weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ShelleyN, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Our coop is in our uninsullated garage. Since last June, they've always been three abreast on the roost at bedtime, but the past two nights I've found two in a nest box on the floor! The current temp at 8pm outside is 25, in the coop it's 40. This is new behavior just the past two nights. After I check on them they move to the roost, but I don't know if they stay there for the rest of the night, as I don't check on them again. Is this a sign of them being too cold?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    A couple of my girls have been doing the same thing. I just take them and put them back on the roost. I have no idea why they do it... It could be because of the cold, but it's illogical because in the nest box they are all alone, while on the roost they have all the rest of the birds to share warmth. Sometimes chickens are odd... [​IMG]

3. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I think I figured it out, it's not because it's cold, it's because it's dark! Since I've covered up the once open fencing, they can't see to climb their way up to the roost. When I go out to check on them, I turn on the light and shine a light in to check things out and then they can see! Ok, how to dimly light the coop till they get settled. I'm a believer in letting nature light their world, I don't want to trick their little bodies to give eggs, when it's not time.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I cover the windy windows with clear plastic. When it gets really cold I cover one window with plexy glass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by