Behavior of broody goose with goslings due

Discussion in 'Geese' started by acceabex, Apr 2, 2018.

1. acceabex

acceabex Songster

May 2, 2017
    Southeast Missouri
    Hi All,

Rory's goslings are due Wednesday. This is our first clutch (hers and mine). When I went to check her this afternoon, she appears to have completely reorganized her nest and moved it over about 2"... Which leads to my question; What is normal goose behavior just before hatching?

After hatching, I'm hoping to clean thoroughly and then have lower dishes so the littles can get water etc. Beyond that, I was going to leave it to the parents. Is there anything else you would do? Anything you wished you would've known?

Thanks in advance!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Any chance she broke an egg and needed to clean house before the big day? Just make sure the water dishes are shallow enough for them to touch the bottom. I go with chick waterers for the first few weeks and tall buckets for the adults. When their bills get too long, they get a dog bowl. I dump the kiddie pool because they can't get out of it. Hope you have a good hatch. They are so darn cute.
    Keep an eye out on CL for free XL dogloos. They make excellent goose huts.

Attached Files:

Miss Lydia and jtn42248 like this.
  3. acceabex

acceabex Songster

May 2, 2017
    Southeast Missouri
    I finally had a peak last night, looks like they're all there. But she definitely has the air of cleaning house.

Of course now I'm nervous going "what if they don't hatch...". Or "what if they do!". For geese, I've only ever had juveniles and adults. I'm anxious to watch these guys grow.... Gosh I hope the eggs are viable. I should've candled them, but she didn't trust me enough to get close.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

And remember goslings don't go by the calendar so they may not hatch today may start today with internal pip but might be Friday before you see one so hang in there and let mama goose do her thing. :fl

acceabex likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: