Behavior of Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenLover=D, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ChickenLover=D

ChickenLover=D New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Somewhere sunny
    I've heard they are the nicest, most docile breed. Is this true?
    Are they kid-friendly and won't peck?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have a Mille hen and she is one of my favorite birds..... though, she'd rather be left alone most of the time [​IMG] But when you do hold her she is nice and calm [​IMG] Easy to handle

3. ChickenLover=D

ChickenLover=D New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Somewhere sunny
    Sounds cute! The bantam we're adopting shivers when you hold him...it's adorable. :]

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster is very aggressive. Others are going to disagree with me but his behavior has made me fearful of really ever ordering anything straight run ever again. A pint-sized container of pure 'tude!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would not call d'uccles docile. They are sweet birds, but definiately not a calm lay-around-the-house-watching-the-world-pass-by bird. They are outgoing and spunky. The girls, small as they are, are likely to be at or near the top of the pecking order in a mixed flock--including a flock that contains large fowl.

The boys have a reputation. I have heard that they can be sweet, but they definitely have a reputation on a par with the best (or is that worst?) of the bad-name breeds. The hero rooster of my flock, GoldeMaine is a silkieXd'uccle. The silkie portions seems to have calmed him down somewhat, but he has truly saved several of his flock on several occasions.

D'uccles can be flighty, but are also easily tamed with handling. I have several part d'uccles and adore them.

6. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:This is true. I know my friend Freebie has a mille fleur rooster and he is full of himself! He shares a coop with a full size australorp roo and he is more aggressive than the standard. A mille fleur is a bantam with a big bird attitude. If you want a bantam that that is pretty winter hardy, can stand their ground with the big birds and is a good little broody they are the bird for you. I have known mille fleurs to brood standard eggs and raise standard chicks! Nothing is funnier than seeing a chick bigger than their foster mama trying to snuggle under her wing LOL!

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    As with any breed there will be exceptions. [​IMG] My roo was a momma's boy to begin with... hopped right up and rode around on my shoulder while I was doing chores. Then the hormones started pumping, and he's given me a couple of pecks when I least expected it, but I wouldn't say he's mean. There's a lot that the dispositions depend on. Now, the hens are the sweetest things. They'd make great house pets if hubby would let me keep adult chickens in the house. [​IMG]
    Good mothers, too.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have 4 millie roos in with 2 btb Japanes and 2 white silkies. They have never been aggressive towards me or the others in their pen.

9. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I have a pair. They are so sweet! I think they are the sweetest of all of my birds. My boy, Floyd loves to be held. He also likes to fly up and sit on the horse's backs. Milli, the hen is sweet too but she doesn't like to be held as much. Floyd could care less if you carried him around all day. He is my only rooster I would trust with a child but even then i would be out there to supervise.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My roo was also aggressive, but mostly to my 4 y/o son. The hen is the sweetest thing though, and follows my son around begging for nightcrawlers [​IMG] I guess the roo didn't like the competition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by