Behavior of my Millie Fleur

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickaren, Mar 11, 2012.

1. chickaren

chickaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    I have a Millie Fleur that is just about a year old. She was free range with her friend, however her friend met her maker due to a hawk about a month and a half ago. Since then, I have built her a large run and she no is no longer free range. Her behavior has changed since then. She would not really come out of the coop anymore unless I was out there with her. As soon as I go back in the house, she goes back in the coop. I thought she was lonely, so I would make it a point to spend time with her, even as far as letting her come in the house to socialize with me. During this time I was looking for a friend for her, but was not able to find another Bantam her age. I have recently purchased 2 Bantam chicks that are almost 7 weeks old, hoping that they will keep the Millie Fleur company. They have been staying in the house because I think it is too cold, especially at night. The past couple of days it has been warmer and so I have put them in the run with my Millie Fleur. She is not really pecking them, only a bit if they are eating something and she wants it first. Anyway, the point of this is that my Millie Fleur does not care to socialize with them. I think that she just wants to come in the house. If I am cleaning the coop, she gets to free range a bit, but she just runs right up to the door of my house, waiting to go inside. When she is in the run I have closed the coop door for a bit so she doesn't go in there and stay all day. I want her to get used to the chicks. She runs back and fourth along the run, starring at my house like that her main goal is to get in my house. I am determined not to let her in the house anymore, but I feel bad for her like she is sad and lonely. If I stick to my guns, not letting her in the house anymore, will she eventually change her behavior? Will she ever get along with my two younger Bantams? Will she be upset with the younger Bantams, since they still come in the house at night? Sorry if I sound like I am rambling, just want to explain all details.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Even though she is lonely, it will take her a little while to get used to the chicks. At least she is not attacking them, so given more time I think she will adjust and take comfort in their company. Once weather warms up a bit more and the chicks are fairly feathered out, they should be able to be in the coop over night and may help them settle in as a flock.

3. chickaren

chickaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    Thanks. I am just worried that she doesn't even want to socialize and only wants to be with me in my house. I know it is just the beginning of their relationship and it will take some time. I just worry about the Millie Fleur and if she is lonely. I don't want her to be depressed. Maybe I care too much about her feelings. The 2 younger ones will be happy together and at this point wouldn't care if the Millie Fleur ever bothered with them. They are inseparable. I am also hoping that the Millie Fleur will see the chicks stay outside of the coop and she will want to as well instead of staying in the coop. I kind of forced her outside and closed the coop door today hoping she will have to interact with them.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I would feel bad for her, too, considering that it is a tough transition. I think you are doing the right thing encouraging her to stay out in the run. You can try to spend a little extra time out there with them.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    It may help them bond if you treat them as if they were one flock instead of two separate groups...maybe by bringing all three inside (as opposed to just the babies) at night, have them wake together, and get put out in the coop together, it will help them form a unit mentality instead of a me and them mentality...or you could try putting a heat lamp in the coop at night and leaving the babies out there...Im sure they are more likely to bond quickly if they wake together and bed together as most flocks do.

At 7 weeks, you still have some time yet before they all begin look like a cohesive flock. My birds were two separate flocks until around the time the younger ones began laying. Now, they all hang out together.

I say treat them all as if they were a unit, and let them sort out the rest. Until the babies are of an age that your original bantie can relate to them, there will be some noteable spearation between them, but as the age, that separation should deminish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by