Behavior or something else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Deviant, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Deviant

Deviant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    Sunday my 7 week old chicks went into there new coop and run. When I put them in there I put them in the coop part and then made them go out the door into the run. I showed them where the water was. They looked like they was having fun all day.

At night it was almost dark and I had to pick them up and put them back in the coop. They didn't like that at all they kept on trying to get out. I had to block the door way up so they would stay in. I went to work at 4am so my dad stopped by to let them out of the coop and into the run. LLLLOOONNNGGGG story short do they not like the coop or do I need to pick them up and put them in there EVERY night? Should I just let them stay out and do what they want to do?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Pick them up and put them in the coop every night. They'll get the hang of it eventually. Think of it as their first say of school. Its new, strange and a little scary, but eventually they'll figure it out. Good luck!

3. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    ok thank you

4. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    1st night I had to put all of them in there and fight to keep them in
    2nd night I had to put 5 in there and they all wanted to stay in there =)

they don't have the roost down right yet because I found one of the nesting box lol BUT it will come I am just glad they are inside maybe a few more nights and I will not have to block up the door.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by