Behavior question/s...TIA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicschics, Apr 25, 2009.

1. vicschics

vicschics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    I have 5 4 week old golden laced wyandottes...in their box they all gather in a corner as if they are competing to be the first one there...(reminds me of children pushing to be first in the line). They are not pecking/picking each other...nothing agressive.. it's as if it's a game for them? What might they be doing? I have seen this a couple of times and it's quite funny to watch...just wondered if I need to do anything special or just let them be chicks????

It's not a heat thing...nor food...nor water....just behavior...establishing pecking order already??? Sorry I'm new to chick raising but I was always taught that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Thanks for your help. I am learning fast and becoming highly addicted to BYC [​IMG]

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    You are correct--they are establishing pecking order, even at their young age. Or, you could have a lot of roos in their...when I see alot of aggressiveness in chicks every once in awhile, they usually turn out to be roosters!!! [​IMG]

3. vicschics

vicschics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    YIKES! That crossed my mind but I have learned that GLW's are very hard to sex. Probably need to wait and see if anyone starts to crow...they aren't fighting or picking each other so I'm guessing that as long as they are just pushing each other around then everything will be ok. Maybe I should take them out for a short time today??? Let them spend some energy??? It's pretty windy here in the country so I'll see how that is today.

Thanks so much for your quick reply.[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They would love an outing. Might have a cardboard box with a brick in it, or something similar, for them to go in if they get chilled. Maybe they would like some change or distraction. Lots of suggestions on here for toys and distractions. A branch in the brooder, a short perch to jump on, a chunk of cabbage to peck at, a small mirror come to mind. Maybe a bigger brooder for room to run and try to fly, depending on what you have now, of course.

I don't think you really have a problem, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by