Behavior Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by char032, Nov 9, 2016.

1. char032

char032 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010

I have two female ducks. One a Muscovy and the other a Runner. Lately, the Muscovy has become very aggressive to the Runner. It started out by the Muscovy chasing her, grabbing her by the back of the neck, and now she is fully mounting her. They have a large backyard to roam, so I don't feel like it is a space issue. Is there anything else I can do and what exactly is this type of behavior caused from?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I am leaning more towards your Muscovy is a Drake!!!!!

3. char032

Aug 28, 2010
    I don't think drakes can lay eggs, she does.

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Well last I looked, drakes don't lay eggs[​IMG]
    Duck girls can be crazy, just like human gir...never mind
    Space isn't the issue, its just a dominance thing, who's in charge, top dog, head of the pile, whatever, ya know?
    Its not bad unless it gets out of hand and feathers are pulled out or there's blood or something.

5. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    I agree with Bills vs Beaks- it's a dominance thing. I've seen my mallard hen try to mount my welshie hen.

6. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    They don't get it right? I mean, hello, a welsh is bigger than a mallard...a saxony is bigger than a khaki... do you get it? You're smaller!!!

Nope, they don't get it

7. char032

Aug 28, 2010
    No blood and no feathers as far as I can tell. I guess I just needed to know, at what point, this is out of control. I know the Runner freaks out when she is mounted, but I think it is happening once a day, in the morning and the point seems to be made. But, the Muscovy is acting more and more "male." Today, I watched the Runner lay down and sleep while the Muscovy stood and watched. I also read that chickens/ducks can change sex. Is that true? And would adding another female duck help the dynamic or make it worse?

8. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I've heard of it happening, but its so rare. If the muscovy is definitely female, theres no need to get another one unless she gets violent and you have to get rid of her. Hopefully it wont come to that.
    My girls sometimes watch each other sleep, I dont see a male aspect of that.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Chickens and Ducks can not Change sex.....Drakes have a Penis....That wont Change....Sexually frustrated Ducks can Breed each other but it is more common with Drakes....

Cheers!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    One of my Muscovy ducks[female] is trying to be Miss Bully to the other female Muscovy's right now it changes weekly She chases the other girls then they get into a fight till one runs off . Reminds me of high school days when cat fights broke out over a boy. [​IMG]My girls mount each other all the time too and the drake just stands there and watches. [​IMG]

No blood nor feather pulled just meanness.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by