Behavioral Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bumbleB, Aug 26, 2014.

1. bumbleB

bumbleB New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Yavapai County, Az
    Hello All! Im new to chicken raising and recently acquired a hen, from what I have figured out, I believe she is a black sex-link. My questions are do chickens usually follow their care takers around? When ever I am in the yard, my Chicky girl follows me around, its cute I like it. And my second question is, are hens protective of their eggs after laying them? We are in the process of building her coop,(which is harder than I anticipated), so she has been laying behind one of our rosebushes. When she sees me headed that way she follows me over to it and looks like shes about about to peck my feet, is that normal? Oh and one more, how long are eggs good for before you get them to the fridge? Thanks for the help and feedback

2. Farm Girl 1

Farm Girl 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2014
    My chickens aren't laying yet but I have one girl who follows me around and will hop onto my lap or arm. Some chickens are just friendly. Sounds like you have a new chicken friend [​IMG]

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Doesn't it feel good be appreciated? My whole flock comes running when they see me.

As for the eggs it depends on the hen. Most of mine lay it and leave it. But if I wait too long in the day my Buff Orps think it means they need to hatch something and then things can get hairy. But I do it anyways :) I know some people leave eggs out a while before refrigerating and are just fine, but I prefer to put them away the day I see them. That way I can keep them organized better.

4. Farm Girl 1

Aug 26, 2014
    Isn't it nice to have all your chickens run to the door when they hear you?! I always love how when I go to the run I hear some clucks and they are all against the fence waiting for me ( and the treats)

5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's one of those warm fuzzy feelings :)

6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    And Winter snuggles!
    [​IMG]

7. Farm Girl 1

Aug 26, 2014
    My Falcon loves to hop on my lap or arm and look around and be pet and loved.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by