Behaviour and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jn21v3, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jn21v3

jn21v3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Manchester England
    I have 2 polish one cock and one hen also one cream legbar,one black rock and a pair of welsummers; one cock one hen. I bought them as 0 week olds in may of this year. I guess they are 22 - 24 weeks old now . the blackrock started to lay in Mid july and has had only a day or two off since, the othere hens look ready but have produced nothing. Th polish hen stands out as a loner and seems to be a slow developer physically too. Any thoughts???:

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some pullets lay as early as 17 or 18 weeks, while others don't lay until after 30 weeks, although most seem to lay by 26 weeks (6 months). I think rocks are usually fairly early layers. I'm not familiar with the others' laying patterns. Of course the cocks will take MUCH longer... [​IMG] (just kidding). Some birds just take longer to start than others...

3. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    My polish also is a loner. When I free frange them (13 all together) Bam Bam my white crested polish stays in the run and sometimes acts as if she can't find her way out. As soon as I call her she comes right over to me. Maybe she can't see very well and finds her way to me by sound?!
    My other polish is a roo and he follows all the girls around, except for Bam Bam:(
    Mine are a few weeks older than yours and only 1, one of my black sex links has started laying. I also have 2SLW, 2Dominique, 1Australorp, 2 blue cochin, 2 banty cochin. They all look ready, SLW sing the egg song and everything. When I free range them I go on an egg hunt when I put them up, all I have found is egg shaped rocks!

4. jn21v3

jn21v3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Manchester England
    [​IMG] thanks that.s reassuring and helpful
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by