Behaviour before laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelbyschooks, Jan 8, 2014.

1. shelbyschooks

shelbyschooks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    My chickens having been acting very strange lately, they used to run up too the door the moment they heard it bang, they'd follow you around the yard and would be walking around scratching all the time. Although yesterday all they did was sit under the trees and drink water, meanwhile there was a huge pile of food in front of them. This morning I woke to hear a lot of skwaking and clucking but I couldn't find any eggs, the weather is warm but there has been hotter days when they haven't been acting like this. Is this how they all act before laying? I think they're just over 4 months. Please help! Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It sounds more like they are frightened of a predator. Any larger birds circling above? Any new loud noises in the area?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you're not familiar with "the egg song" do a google search and see if you can get an audio of what it sounds like. I'm guessing that they're practicing for the big event.

4. monkeyqueen

monkeyqueen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    I have 3 FIRST that I've had since July. Got a few eggs first couple of days, but nothing since. Understand stress of move, then molted, crazy heat, and finally winter. Their combs and wattles have been bright for couple weeks. Have noticed last few days they're peeping like much younger birds. Are my girls getting ready to lay?

5. shelbyschooks

shelbyschooks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    Thankyou! it seems they were just taking a rest or something because the next morning we heard the egg song!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by