BEI ducks brooding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdnutz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    OK I think my little calls are getting a little out of hand.:eek:Here it is September and I have a broody duck. Obviously somebody with more authority needs to come and explain to them that they are spring layers. They've hatched out 28 of the little darlings for me this year. My DH calls them the black hord.
    If she's successful in the hatch will they be ok with winter coming on? I really don't want to take them and brood them.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't know....I'd say your duck has some issues....What time of the year does it start getting really cold? They need several weeks to grow their feathers in. You might have to brood them yourself, or take the eggs away right now before they start developing (unless it's too late). I'd make darn sure I got all the eggs away from her from now on, though, just to prevent her trying to hatch in the snow! Ducklings for Christmas! Can't you just picture little ducky footprints in a freshly fallen snow, and little ducks 'dusting' and playing in the snow? LOL!!!

3. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If you don't want to brood them, I'd take the eggs now. My calls went crazy this year also. My one hen hatched a clutch in June (which I grabbed up) and started laying again a week later. She had 4 seperate clutches this year! We will be using "birth control" next year! I don't need that many ducks.

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Usually we have snow by Halloween,but I think it's going to be earlier this year. They're already saying that the higher altitudes could recieve some. Thanks to the hurricanes.
    I sure don't need anymore either,boy can they eat.
    I think I'll grab the eggs today,I don't think they'll have a chance this year. As it is I have 8 babies running around with my favorite duck that aren't feathered yet. They've just hit the ugly duckling stage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by