Being attacked by VICIOUS chick!- UPDATE

serenityNH

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Raymond, NH
One of my new chicks I brought home yesterday (black orpington around 3 weeks old) is absolutely vicious to me! I thought Orpingtons were supposed to be sweet? My other 3 are darlings but I'm almost scared of this one. The chick constantly goes at me when I reach in the brooder or if she's out of the brooder, she bites any where she can and holds right on I practically have to yank her off of me. What is she going to be like as a hen (or rooster!)? I have welts all over me, is this normal?? All my other chicks seem to love me and the other 4 I brought home yesterday (Cochins) are sweet, very shy though- this one is NOT shy in the least!! As I type this she is ripping into the flesh on my ankle,
rant.gif

What should I do (keep in mind she's a little too small at 5 oz to make into dinner) do I drown her in kindness and hope for the best? I'm new to chickens and have no clue how to solve behavioral problems
hu.gif

Last edited:
Her behavior may well change. Everytime I visited a bunch of pullets at someone's place some time back, they pecked/bit so hard that it made me, lover of all innocent beings, feel utterly murderous. After some time, I noticed that all of that behavior was gone and they were nice as can be. Maybe the equivalent of the terrible two's!
JJ

You could try the "roo behavior modification" method. Hold him/her on her back in a football hold for a bit. I had one that started to bite/pinch me and I did this plus "pecking" her back with my index finger on the top of her head (not very hard) she no longer attacks me as I am the bigger "chicken/rooster" lol:

she was probably poorly treated
sad.png
pick her up and cup one hand over her head. keep it there for a while then lift your hand away. if she tries to peck agian, do it again. if not, then carry her around with you for a while (an hour or two would be best). ignore her unless she pecks you, then cup your hand over her head again. do that as often as possible, every day until she no longer pecks you. the longer she goes without pecking you, the more you should show her you trust her. touch her face, extend each wing, just get her used to a lot of handling. when you trust her a bit more, offer treats out of a cup, then out of your hand. believe me, try reform first, cull only as a last resort. you may have a sweet chick yet
thumbsup.gif

I'd wear body armor around her, so she couldn't inflict any wounds. Or at least wear jeans, long sleeved shirts,goggles, a hat and gloves. If you don't feel the bite you will just blow her off and not show fear. Too bad she couldn't get a bad taste in her mouth when she bites you - like Bitter Apple for dogs. She probably likes your reaction to her bad behavior. I think if you fight back she would get worse.

Somehow she has to be gentled.

Thanks for all the great advice!
It's a very strange situation with the chick, I swear she seems to want my attention but only knows how to be mean? I was sitting on the floor with all the chicks tonight and she won't leave me alone, everyone else is running around playing and pecking and she just sits next to me, biting when she feels the need. She was climbing on me and jumped up on my shoulder and I just sat still, then after awhile she jumped down and bit my leg!
None of the chicks seem to know how to eat out of my hand or take treats in general, they just stare at them and don't know what to do. The others are very frightened, this chick seems to want to protect them and herself- She seems to always be on guard. I have a feeling she will come around ( I hope I'm right!) with some kindness and maybe I just need to how her she can trust me and I won't hurt her.
All my chicks I had since day old's are so incredibly friendly and happy, this poor girl is just the opposite
sad.png

It will be very interesting to watch her progress - I bet she will change as she learns her world a bit more. Please keep us posted
hugs.gif

JJ

I am so frustrated this morning with my little mean chick! Forget everything I said before, this chick doesn't want my love she wants my blood
hide.gif

I reached in to the brooder to change their water this morning and she lunged right at my face from all the way in the back and grabbed my lip and wouldn't let go. So I decided I was going to try to be nice and gentle with her and have her sit on my lap while I watched the news. Not a chance!! She was relentless, every time I took my hand off of her and dropped my guard she would lunge at my face, after about 5 minutes I gave up!
I can't believe that a little orpington chick only 2-3 weeks old can be so hostile. I am putting them all out in the coop today
clap.gif
and I am hoping that since I won't be bending over reaching into the brooder any longer that I will at least have some defense against the evil one.
I would rather this chick be a 100lb dog, then I'd know what to do and would probably be a whole lot less afraid
hmm.png

That is not a chick... it is a demon with feathers. Happen to have a pic of the evil one? If she is attacking vulnerable areas, it might be cull time if she cannot settle down soon!!!

Back
Top Bottom