being away to take care of

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tav1, Nov 10, 2014.

1. tav1

tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    I might have a change of plans in raising just two chickens. What do you do if you can't let them out in the pen every day and your out if state / vacation, basically no one to take care of them while you're away.

I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a good idea to just let them stay in the coop. ...or would it? ,providing there's food and water. Tell me striaght up...that's why I'm asking now before getting them.

2. Traphill

Traphill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    When I leave for the weekend I leave the pop door open so they can get out in the secure run. Of course there is plenty of food and water. If you were leaving for a week or something longer than 3 days or so I would have someone come over to check on things and change their water, gather eggs etc.
    Hope this helps

3. tav1

tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    A little....just don't want to put them in dangerous position

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's kind of like cats,
    but adding predator issues because chickens are not safe inside a house like cats usually are.
    With enough food and water, they could be fine for days on end as long as there's no trouble.

I personally wouldn't leave my chooks to fend for themselves without someone knowledgeable in chicken keeping/problem solving to look in on them at least once a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by