being diplomatic to neighbor with dog killing my free-range chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by centrarchid, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am having a wee problem with neighbors black labridor retriever that is going after some of my free-range chickens and doing some damage. To date, four cockerols and a laying hen have been killed and a game cock used about four times a year for educating public (mostly kids) has been maimed. The cockerols are being sold to parties following Muslim that requires live animals to be killed and processed by head of household that will consume the bird. I get $5 per cockerol. The hens I have been selling to backyard chicken keepers for providing eggs. This is third visit by dog, last two have resulted in damages described. I have discussed issue with dog owner (nextdoor neighbor) after second visit. He called my mother following third and appologized but I want payment for value of birds if sold as intended. They can no longer be sold as such since market wants live.

I composed following letter and will be presenting it to neighbor tomorrow.

2 November 2011

Your dog (black lab) has killed four cockerols valued @ $5.00 ea. and one dominique laying hen valued at $8.00 ea. The dog has also maimed a brood cock game of value that can be referrenced on the internet. Additionally the same game cock was trained for extension work to be handled by children and others not familiar with poultry.

Please provide payment within one week for livestock losses totalling $28.00. My preference is to sell birds to customers that are interested in live birds for meat or laying, therefore more likely to be reliable repeat buyers. Having you guys as repeat buyers does not spread well to those interested in free-range poultry products.

Signed by Me

What am I missing. Desire is not to have piss and vinegar. Good long-term relationship with neighbor is desired. Legally I can now shoot dog when it theatens but long-term relationship is valued enough to restrain me for time being. SSS will no longer be effective since both parties know that other party knows.

2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I am going to assume you have a good fence, if not you might want to rethink letting your sale birds out until you do have a secure run.

Before you send the letter, re-read it and think about how you would feel getting that letter from your neighbor if it was your dog and their chickens

cockerel is a male chicken

3. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Good luck being diplomatic. Been there, done that. I was wanting to keep the relationship friendly and I also had my run too far from the house to get a good shot in. I don't free range, but the dogs continued to come over here and yank out the sides of the runs and proceed to kill everything they could catch. I've pretty much lost count on the losses. We had to move the chicken house closer to the house so that we have hope of implementing the SSS.

Not only my poultry, but ran one of my horses thru the wire fence giving him a nasty wire injury and attacked my elderly farm dog injuring her severely.

As far as the neighbor never speak of it and neighbor will be none the wiser. Your losses would stop and hopefully relations can stay intact.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Cockerol indicates male not yet full adult cock (cock as in second or greater set of adult feathers).

Loss of my poultry on my land by activities of another's dog no different than having dog jump fence and killing sheep in eyes of law.

I have dog that deals with smaller dogs and other predators very well and if he were to kill neighbors stock while on neighbors land I would be liable.

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    yes a young rooster

spelled CockerEl not CockerOl

6. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think your letter is short and to the point. I see no threats which of course is good. The letter is not emotional which is also good.

I hope your neighbor will do the right thing and pay you and keep their dog under their control.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I think you hit it fine, and I hope they get that it's time to take responsibility for their dog's location and actions.

Do keep us up to date on how it works out. I'd be less mad and more interested in fixing the problem if I got that letter vs. an angry one with lots of emotion.

8. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Is the dog loose all of the time? Can you narrow down the times that he can kill your chooks? Do you have a dog of your own? If not, I'd be preparing a big helping of what I call "Raccoon Surprise." It's quick, humane, there would be no bullet holes, and the neighbor would have noone to blame but himself for letting his dog run.

9. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:The part I underlined, italicized and bolded I just can't wrap my head around. Maybe its me. Could the letter get your point across with that part omitted? Your preferences and feelings need not be known, anyhow, as sometimes your emotional connection to a subject can be used against you. People who bully look for preferences and feelings, just so they can continue to bug you about it. Hopefully your neighbor is not that sort of person.

10. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

6chickens in St. Charles :

Quote:The part I underlined, italicized and bolded I just can't wrap my head around. Maybe its me. Could the letter get your point across with that part omitted? Your preferences and feelings need not be known, anyhow, as sometimes your emotional connection to a subject can be used against you. People who bully look for preferences and feelings, just so they can continue to bug you about it. Hopefully your neighbor is not that sort of person.

I couldn't decide what that meant, either. Is it sarcastic or am I missing something? If it is sarcastic, I would omit it.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by