Being held and non laying

LottieRaz

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
Leeds UK
Hi there,

I am very new to chicken keeping, in fact just over two weeks.

What we have found is that the pullets (3 hybrids, told about 22-26 weeks old), are happy to eat from our hands, and be alongside us.
But absolutely hate being touched or handled.
I'm not sure how to get to the point of them being OK with being handled, as for me I am wondering if I need to check them over for any issues, and as 2 of them can get very loud if I attempt to do so.

Secondly, when is it likely that they may lay? Their combs and wattles have definitely gone bigger and redder, but yet to find any surprises.

Thank you for any help!

Welcome to BYC! Most chickens don't like to be held. None of mine do. If I need to pick one up I scoop it off the roost or corner it and catch it. Sometimes they squat for me and I can pick them up that way.
Where do you live? If you are in the northern hemisphere, and days are getting too short, they could wait till spring to lay.

Welcome to BYC! Most chickens don't like to be held. None of mine do. If I need to pick one up I scoop it off the roost or corner it and catch it. Sometimes they squat for me and I can pick them up that way.
Where do you live? If you are in the northern hemisphere, and days are getting too short, they could wait till spring to lay.
I've never had pullets wait until spring to begin. It does take longer in fall to begin and production is more sporadic, but all start laying between 5-7 months of age here.

I only really pick mine up at night-time, when on the roost. The minimum amount of a struggle possible, though it does distress some of the more flighty birds. I only really pick mine up for health-checks and occasionally relocating broody hens.

Agree that your pullets ought to lay this year; if they're reddening up, the time is coming and you ought to see some pullet bullets in the next few weeks. I've some of a similar age and have had a tiny egg each day for the past week or so. It's frustrating having to wait, but it'll happen in time.

Hi there,

I am very new to chicken keeping, in fact just over two weeks.

What we have found is that the pullets (3 hybrids, told about 22-26 weeks old), are happy to eat from our hands, and be alongside us.
But absolutely hate being touched or handled.
I'm not sure how to get to the point of them being OK with being handled, as for me I am wondering if I need to check them over for any issues, and as 2 of them can get very loud if I attempt to do so.

Secondly, when is it likely that they may lay? Their combs and wattles have definitely gone bigger and redder, but yet to find any surprises.

Thank you for any help!

It really depends on your breed type, if they have matured to breed weight, and have mature physical characteristics along with behavioral signs. You should have them on 16% layer feed with poultry grit and oyster shell free choice. :):welcome

I guess the OP's are older than mine who waited till spring to lay. (2 yrs ago). They were May 14th chicks, which would have made them less than 20 weeks at this point.

I guess the OP's are older than mine who waited till spring to lay. (2 yrs ago). They were May 14th chicks, which would have made them less than 20 weeks at this point.
I generally get mine at the end of May every year. I keep mine on a higher protein ration, no layer fed here, and all always start to lay around November to January.

Oh wow, thank you all so much for your replies!

So, the takeaway message here is that I need to carry on being patient for any eggs! Arghh. ( I am in the UK).

As for the picking up, ok, that does make me feel better hearing about your experiences, I was hoping that they would be more happier to be the more cuddlier type esp for my kids, but it is what it is! They still provide us with plenty of amusement.

Back
Top Bottom