Being lazy

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Guido, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Guido

Guido Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Mold North Wales
    I'm not lazy, just rather busy!

I have been wanting to make those mornings just a little less stressful, so having 2 kids a wife who works shifts (3/4 days/nights a week - nurse) I have to be pretty organised to get to work on time at 08:30 (30 min drive) and drop the kids at school/nursery no earlier than 08:00...you see the rush! Plus I'm no morning person.

I had been using the usual feeder/waterer combo, ground level inverted pot with a dish arrangement. Yes the ones that get knocked over, full of.....everything and need a daily refill.

I have invested and now set up the lazy-man's weekly refill feed and wateer stations.

We have 2 hens so they don't eat loads.

feeder
    [​IMG]

Fill with 2.5kg(ish) layers pellets, they eat what they want, and don't scatter the rest to waste on the floor

waterer

[​IMG]

I have attached this to a 10L tub with lid which sits on the run roof, this works well as a header tank and is refillable by bucket easily enough.
    Not the simplest thing to set up and assemble but it works nicely and now is high enough from the floor not to get filled with muck.

Don't get me wrong we still let them hens out and shut them in at night, collect eggs in the morning so they're not left completely alone!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Necessity is the mother of invention." Well done! By the way, enjoy these years. Before you will be able to believe, you will look back at these times and ask, "How did they pass so quickly, and how did those kids become adults?" [​IMG]

3. Guido

Guido Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Mold North Wales
    :) thanks

Yes they are already growing up too fast, although now having them both as communicative small people is nice. 2 and 5 are nice ages, they are still dependant enough for me to feel wanted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by