Being mean

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TherryChicken, Feb 4, 2013.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Ok, so I have 2 Ameraucanas, 1 BLR Wynadotte, and 1 Chochin.. Well the Ameraucanas didn't peck the Wynadotte but once. However they are really being mean to the Cochin and the poor girl can't win for loosing. I was wondering, do chickens do better when being introduced, with their own breed do to "temperment"? Or?

2. welderskelter

welderskelter New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    Maybe they need a bigger area. Chickens do have a picking order.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    They just need to workout pecking order. Unless they get really ruff do not worry about it. Once a flockis setintroducing new hens can be ruff. WhenI introduce new pullets I usally divide the coop into two sections and let them live next door for a while before letting them all go together.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I X2 what Choco Maran says - sounds like a pecking order issue - keep an eye open in case one becomes picked to the point of bleeding - it would have to be isolated in this case. Good luck to you!

5. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    She is being pecked to where she bleeds.. Her comb will bleed cause they will peck her head and comb so much. She pecks me and makes me bleed and I think it's because she is pecked on so much she feels like I'm not threat and pecks on me.

6. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Oh and the coop is 6' tall by 4' wide by 8' long

7. welderskelter

welderskelter New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    Coop seems pretty small to me. They cant get out of eyesight of them.

8. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    She gets up inside the coop while the others stay in the run, so she can get out of sight of them. However a good friend of mine is going to be nice enough to give me 2 of his coops so we will be seperating the cochin and wynadotte and be getting another pair for the other coop. So we will have 3 coops with 2 in each. The wynadotte and the cochin are friendly to each other so they will; be going into the same coop together, the ameraucanas are sisters and will be staying together, then we will just search to another 2 to buy for the other coop..

9. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Here is my cochin, she comes to me for comfort and she jumped and flew onto my shoulder as I was in the coop area checking for eggs. She pecks on me and makes me bleed and bruise. I tried moving her into an area with 1 month old chicks and she pecked one so badly she tore up her bottom (she is healing well though). So had to put her back with the others
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see her neck a bit. Her neck is almost completely bare from being pecked on, though we bought her with her neck half way bare.. She has a scab like thing on the top of her neck/back of head that has turned her skin blue?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by