Being raised by a bantam!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Janah, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Janah

Janah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I have four Guinea chicks. They have been raised by a Pekin bantam hen. All has gone well so far though she has been alarmed by their insistance on flying to the highest point to roost at night. She has managed to keep at least two at ground level.

They are kept in a 12' x 12' horse stable. My husband has solved the problem by putting a branch up to the rafters and she now climbs all the way to the top and they look so cute as she insists on wrapping her wings round the two she can reach!

Jane

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Aww, you gotta get a picture of that!

3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

That's sounds awesome!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here as much as me

[​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd love to see a pic. of that too! [​IMG] Bet those chicks will outgrow "mama" lickety-split...

5. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    I bet your poor little hen is anxious and worried that her babies have some sort of behavioral problem! Pictures would be such fun!

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have the opposite, I have a Guinea hen that hatched out 3 bantam chicks. When she talks to them they look at her like "what?, ok I'll just follow you". [​IMG]

7. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    Welcome To A Mixed Family.hahaha.. It All Works Out In The End Thou... Yes We Love To See Pictures On Here, Welcome..

8. Janah

Janah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't managed to grt a pic of the bantam with her wings around her 'babies' But you can see the heights she has gone to to look after them!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh MY! She IS determined!

Be glad she didn't raise ducklings that want to go swimming..... [​IMG]

10. Janah

Janah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I really do feel that she has taken motherhood to whole new levels. She really gets very concerned when they fly off. She has real trouble that they are so flighty! You can really hear her saying that the last brood were so much better behaved, (they were bantams).

Jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by