1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BEING ROBBED through PayPal

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mom 2em All, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Just through some fluke email- where someone kept writing me to apologize that he was late giving me my VIP status because he was out of town-I thought it was spam, but he kept sending me email asking me to reverse my claim with pay pal that he had been out of town. So I wrote him back, and then checked out my account at pay pal. I discovered that over four hundred dollars had been stolen from me, through paypal.

I last used pay pal on the second, to pay for eggs. There are multiple transactions, done on the fifth, totaling up to 400 dollars that I never authorized. I have filed a claim for each one.

However, I didn't have that in my bank account- so I am praying, and hoping, and wishing that the bank will not charge me the 39 dollar insufficient funds fee for each of those transactions.

These were SMALL transactions- ten dollars, forty eight dollars, seventy two dollars, fifty dollars. The one for 72 dollars was set up to charge me 250 dollars a month forever, in installments of 72 dollars each.

It seems that most of these transactions are for virtual world, and gaming sites, and music sites.
    I tried calling pay pal last night- however after finally finding a phone number for them, which is extremely difficult to do- I was on hold for 45 minutes and never had a person, so I hung up.

Take the time to make sure your funds are secure. I never received the "Paypal email" that occurs whenever I do a transaction with pay pal either.

2. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I am so sorry to hear about this, I will keep my fingers crossed that you don't get hit with all those NSF charges.

If you havent already, change your password. As a matter of fact, change your password for ebay if you are a member and any other websites and accounts that you can manage online, ie. credit cards, banking, utilities, etc. It is tedious and time consuming. Double check the email address that is listed for notices to be sent to. The hackers change this so you will never get a notice as well..

Call your bank to notify them of the situation, most banks are helpful, and will stop anything that may have occured from going through and they may not charge you those ugly fees.

Perhaps this should be a warning to all that they need to double check their paypal accounts as a breach in security has ocurred somewhere.

You may also want to run a check on your computer system for breaches.

This happened to our ebay account and it gave them access to paypal, DH got on one computer, me on another and we just went to town changing things. It wasn't fun with the disputes but it did finally get resolved.

editted for spelling I haven't had my coffee yet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Did you click on a link in the e-mail to access PayPal? More than likely it redirected to a fake site so when you typed in your username and password you inadvertently gave it to the bad guys. To access PayPal you should open your browser and type in www.paypal.com, not click on any links provided. Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully they can work it out for you.

4. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:Did you click on a link in the e-mail to access PayPal? More than likely it redirected to a fake site so when you typed in your username and password you inadvertently gave it to the bad guys. To access PayPal you should open your browser and type in www.paypal.com, not click on any links provided. Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully they can work it out for you.

Nope- I havent clicked on any thing through email. I wrote him first to ask him what he was talking about. It was that email that alerted me to check my pay pal. he said that someone had made a payment to him using my email address. I believe my words that I spoke to my monitor were, "This guy is crazy". Then I went to my paypal account and there they all were.

I am trying not to panic- and give paypal a chance to make it right. I have to contact my bank this morning so they *hopefully* will not make me obligated to pay the nsf fees.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I always check to make sure there are no transactions the I did not authorize. There are now pirates making software to hack into people accounts (paypal or any site for that matter) so be careful.

6. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Whoa! That's horrid! What a horrible feeling. I'm going to check my PayPal account now (that I rarely use).

Just checked the account and everything looked OK, but I didn't realize I had cards saved on the account that I had previously used - so I removed them all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    sounds like possibly they used your account to take the money and his account to receive the money. Be very careful and change all your accounts and passwords. This happened to my mom and she had to get a new bank account and cards so the bank could track it if they tried to use it again.

8. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    You were phished. Change your email and paypal passwords immediately.

Sorry about the money, but paypal will usually make it right.

Sarah

9. pickNchicken

pickNchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Wester KY
    I hope that you get everything resolved . It is terrible that there is people out there like that.

10. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Well, I changed all my passwords- and now I wait for Paypal to return the money.
    My bank account is overdrawn by almost four hundred dollars- and the bank added all those 'nsf' fees to the tune of 39 dollars each to a handful. Also, my scheduled monthly payments didnt go through because the paypal transactions took the money. The bank isnt going to do anything until paypal returns the money- then I am to print everything out and return to the bank. Now I am busy trying to contact stores/cable, etc and let them know why our transactions did not go through.

My problem here is that I had enough money to cover my personal transactions- but they went through after paypal took the money- so the NSF fees are on my personal transactions. I just hope the bank treats me right and reverses those fees (fees that are added every three days for each overdrawn item). I am broke broke broke, and had to borrow gas money- I get paid every two weeks (next week) by automatic deposit. I sure do hope it is all resolved and over with by then.
    Its a nightmare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by