Belgian Bearded Mille Fleur d'Uccles? PICS pg 7

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Godiva, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I was wondering if you folks who are d'Uccle people could give me a few pointers on main things to look for in a good quality MFD. I have two pullets/ hens and was just wondering what I have as far as quality goes. They are just about a year old, one has a lot of white in her markings and has always had more markings while the other is a much richer colour with fewer spots, though still plenty of them. I guess I will have to add some pictures to show you the two, but please give me some basic ideas as to what to look for. I will try to add some pics tomorrow ... Thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    I will try to add some pics too (if thats okay?) because I would like to know how mine rank also.... Thanks for starting this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Please go ahead, the more pics the better. I want to learn what I can... am busy trying to upload some pics now - dial up takes forever!

4. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Here are the only two pics I have of Amber and Pearl. Can try to get some others from different angles tomorrow... assuming it doesn't rain...
    Pearl is the lighter coloured one and Amber is the darker coloured one... Oh, Pearl has just been moulting (not all her feathers are back in yet) and Amber is just starting to moult...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. KittyKelly

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    So sad you have dial-up! That really stinks [​IMG]

I found one pic of my D'Uccles that I took a while back... they are still kinda young. Here it is:
    [​IMG]

6. KittyKelly

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    They are SO BEAUTIFUL! [​IMG]

7. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    THank you Kittykelly. I have to say that these two have totally won us over to this breed. I got them with some hatching eggs as extras with another breed that I was interested in. Our kids (6 and 3 yrs old) absolutely adore these two and have laid claim to them. They are incredibly tame and patient and sweet and hardy etc... really low maintenance for a pet.

How old were yours in the pic you posted? They look quite young still?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    KittyKelly, yours look more like booted bantams. The little roos don't seem to have much if any beard.
    Mine are most likely pet-quality, I believe the small spots is more desirable.
    Here's some of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And another little cockerel:
    [​IMG]

This is a bad pic of mama, the one in front is a d'uccles/jap mix. But you can see mama's coloring
    [​IMG]

And here's a pic of another cockerel, from the same parents as the 3 pics at the top. (His sister is in the background)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. KittyKelly

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    I think in the pics they are about 4 months?? Maybe?? I'm horrible at keeping records. I only have the 7 D'Uccles out of the 100 other breeds that I own.

10. KittyKelly

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    You could be right Shelley... Only one of my pullets has a beard......and she is not in the pic. I will definitely be taking pics of her to post on here soon then [​IMG]

Do all D'Uccles have beards? or if they were born without them you call them Booted Bantams??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by