Belgian Denver vs Legbar Hen

alamn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
I have a Belgian Denver cockerel and a Cream leg bar hen along with 4 other hens, the Cockereal does not have a problem with the other hens but finds it difficult and in most case fails to mate with the Leg bar which is twice its size and very fast, anyone had this type of problem.. maybe its about time I bought a bigger cockereal

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I've seen bantam cockerels successfully mate with LF hens, but it sounds like a bigger cockerel may be a better idea, if you want to hatch eggs from that hen, otherwise I'd leave the set-up as it is?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sumi X2 Some small roosters are able to mate with larger hens and some can't. So a bigger roo maybe in order!

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to ours!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A bigger cockerel might solve your problem, but if you do get a bigger cockerel I would remove the smaller cockerel from the flock; not only because the bigger cockerel will abuse him, but also because you are already straining the rooster to hen ratio which is a recommended 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters per hen ratio can be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking feathers from their necks and backs, battering the hens, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in breeding your Cream Legbar hen.

Back
Top Bottom