Belgian D'Uccle lays about two eggs a year - what is going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fiona Dickson, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Fiona Dickson

Fiona Dickson In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2017
    I have a super cute blue mottle Belgian D'uccle - Danger Mouse. She has laid three eggs in two years. But she loves a good egg boast from time to time after sitting on other hens eggs. Has occasionally gone broody - but not for any significant amount of time. I would love her to lay and be able to hatch her own babies.All my other hens lay just fine. Mixed flock - only one other true bantam though who can't lay due to wry tail. Most of flock medium sized - a couple of larger hens too. Any idea what could be up?

2. ChattyChickens4Life

ChattyChickens4Life OCD (Obsessive Chicken Disorder)

Oct 1, 2017
    I do believe that broody bantams like D'Uccles or Silkies have the potential to be very bad egg layers. I have heard of Silkies doing similar things to you D'Uccle. As long as you don't notice any other symptoms of a potential sickness, I think she is fine. However, there are many people on BYC with much more knowledge than me. Maybe they will notice something I didn't.

Table4Six likes this.
  3. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Could be age also. How old is she? I have a porcelain D’Uccle pullet and she’s a wonderful layer.

ChattyChickens4Life likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: