Belgian Mal owners, gas of death

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lavkid, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Lavkid

Lavkid Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    Good morning,
    This could be an every breed problem but i need a little help. My Bel Mal has a gas problem. I am not talking the "Dang boy that one was stinky" gas, I am talking the "We need to evacuate because someone will die" gas. Already had to do that twice. So i understand gas is normal, but is every 2-5 minutes normal? When he eats its slow and picky so he isn't in taking any extra air, and hes on the same food as our Dutch mix who doesn't have these problems. H-E-B Texas pets Adult dry food. He is 11 months, yes we still integrate a little puppy food but i don't remember that brand.
    I need to nip this in the butt before i go sticking a scent patch on his booty... he's an office dog and i cant have him ruining the place with fart bombs. TIA

29683924_1359815630830675_3573665464957441506_n.jpg

2. jadip4

jadip4 Songster

Mar 6, 2018
    South Carolina
    Pretty dog! Gas is usually diet related.

drumstick diva and penny1960 like this.
  3. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    Yes very pretty. My Belgian malinois (not sure how to spell) doesn’t have gas usually, my puppy does because he eats chicken poop. I hope this helps a little

4. Lavkid

Lavkid Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ya i figured diet but i have no clue what to feed seeing as he is super picky. What do my fellow Belgian Mal owners feed? And he doesn't care for the chickens. Would sleep with my babies if i let him but doesn't eat their poop. My big girls love him.

5. TheDirtyLawyer

TheDirtyLawyer Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    well mine had this problem after she was hit by a car and had lung brusing. We took her to the vet bc of the gas and had no idea she had been hit. Tough dogs... I've had several Malinois and none had gas problems unless maybe they ate something unusual like a rabbit or something else in the yard. Maybe try a white rice and chicken diet and see if you can calm things down and restart.

6. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    Ask your professional veterinarian. Deep chested dog are prone to GDV aka "bloat" when they are gassy. I worked in and managed a veterinary ER for 5 years so I am familiar with GDV. At least he is "evacuating" the gas, its not good when they can't.

7. TheDirtyLawyer

TheDirtyLawyer Songster

Mar 27, 2018

He is prob just not food motivated like my dogs haven't been. I think dog gas is always gross but it's worse when they follow you around having it like Mals tend to do... it's not like you can get away bc they follow close.

drumstick diva likes this.
  8. Lavkid

Lavkid Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ya he has no prey, food, or toy drive. Which is why I got him haha. But the constant inability to get away from the cloud of death is really getting annoying. Was just trying to see if anyone else had the problem.

9. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    It sounds to me like whatever you are feeding him, he isn't tolerating it well. Dogs are individuals. Just because your other dog has no issues with that particular food, it doesn't meant that this one doesn't. In addition to changing the food, you might try some chlorophyll pills. You ought to be able to find them at the health food store or online. They do help a lot with odors.

10. RedBanks

RedBanks Crowing

Sep 18, 2015
    What does his stool look like? Cow patties? Small well formed? Gosh what crazy questions but what goes in is what comes out. If they are large horrible smelling cow patties I would change food. You don't have to buy the most expensive organic food on the shelf, I feed a rather low priced food but no gas and no cow patties. I imagine they are not different in the gas department than we are..... it depends on what we eat, unless of course there is a underlying health issue. I would try feeding him a little plain yogurt with his food, I would definitely change foods but gradually. The rice diet is a good idea too to put him back on the right track. Good luck.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: