belgium d'anvers vs bantam ameraucana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dukey9, Jun 22, 2016.

1. dukey9

dukey9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2015
    Hi all,
    So I was looking at these two breeds (belgium d'anvers vs bantam ameraucana) and wanted to know if there's any big difference between the two breeds. If so which one is better, I have ameraucanas but not bantam ones.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    The biggest difference would be the egg color.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, D'Anvers have rose combs, Ameraucanas have pea combs. The body conformation is completely different, Belgian D'Anver males have a very bull chest, very upright stance. The males' temperaments vary wildly, from feathered rabid pitbull to basically indifferent, almost friendly. The hens are mostly very friendly, though on occasion one will be a tad skittish.

I have had LF Ameraucanas and I currently have Mille Fleur and Porcelain Belgian D'Anvers. The body type is super different. The color varieties are different. The egg color and probably size is certainly different.

D'Anvers are also smaller birds, generally. My smallest D'Anver hen is only 17 oz., almost Serama size.

D'Anvers are not winter layers. They are more seasonal. Mine are even less than that, taking year long breaks or even stopping laying at a year old sometimes.

See this D'anver rooster? Not at all like Ameraucana body type (or personality).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  4. dukey9

dukey9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2015
    Interesting, ok, thanks[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Which one is "better" really depends on what you like and what you want. The D'Anvers are beautiful birds, but if you want slightly larger eggs and a better layer, even the blue eggs, you'd want Ameraucana.

My own Mille Fleur D'Anver rooster is spur-less; he has a gene that causes it and some lines just never have spurs at all. The porcelain rooster of mine is his father and his spurs are 3" long and curved. I often have to cut them back by half so he can sit down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by