bell waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jbb23, Jan 29, 2007.

1. jbb23

jbb23 New Egg

Jan 20, 2007
    Has anyone used these before. I saw a picture of a Kuhl bell waterer with a bucket over it feeding the waterer via gravity and I really like that idea. My coop is going to get a rain barrel in the spring and it would be easy to put it up high enough that I wouldn't have to fill a waterer all summer.
    Has anyone else done something like this?
    How hard was it to setup the connections?
    Was pressure an issue?
    Thanks,
    Jase

2. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I've tried this type of water for broilers thought it was easy and liked it. I hooked it up to a 5 gallon pail. The pail was only a foot or so higher than the waterer and that was enough water pressure. I found covering cover the pail to keep leaves out to be helpful.

It's also better not to attach the tubing to the very bottom of the pail. Rather attach it an inch or so above the bottom. This will keep dirt, leaves and other stuff that falls into bottom of the the pail from clogging up the hose.

Joan
    http://urban-agrarian.blogspot.com/

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Quote:That is a GREAT idea!!!

4. boxleyjoe

boxleyjoe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    I got some bell waterers cheap from a chicken house that had to be updated. I like them!

5. CityGoneCountry

CityGoneCountry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Stephenville
    I just got several of these new. How do you attach them to the 5 gallon bucket? Got a hole drilled in the side, but any recommendations to for attaching the tube and prevent leaking?

6. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I googled the waterer and don't how it works w/ the 5-gallon bucket gig. Could someone post a pic? THX!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by