Bella Gallina Farm (aka, Pretty Hens)

Dmaggot

Chirping
Aug 21, 2018
Good morning ya’ll. Seems I forgot to formally introduce myself. I’ve been a fan of BYC for a couple of years now when I started researching all things chickens. Got the itch to create a little farmstead and hubby had NO interest in sheep or alpacas so chickens became the natural choice. Once I started down this path there was no turning back! Met a woman at Lowe’s while browsing chicken books and we started chatting about her chickens. I told her I was on the fence about actually becoming a chicken tender (thank Deer Run Farm in Frederick, MD for that little gem :p) and she said DO IT. Well, that turned out to be a fateful day for our family and we will never look back.

Along the way I found The Chicken Chick’s website and she mentioned a poultry vet named Dr. Annika McKillop. Since we take better care of the animals in our charge than we do ourselves I Googled poultry vets and to my amazement, Dr. McKillop’s practice is also in Frederick, MD where we live! If that ain’t fate I don’t know what is. She has been our girls’ vet for 2 years now and we couldn’t be happier with everything she’s done for us.

Our first batch of chicks came from TSC - fell HARD during chick days!! - and we ended up with 4 hens and 2 roosters. Hayward (who we should have named Vlad the Impaler) won the Top Rooster competition and we lost Sheldon to starvation. We got 2 each Buff Orpingtons, Wellsummers and Barred Rocks and then from a local supplier got a white Leghorn and a Buff Ameracauna. Since they were raised from chicks they all know their names and come running whenever I call them. This year upon Dr. McKillop’s recommendation as a consistently ‘clean’ source of chicks (Deer Run Farm) we added 2 black Ameracaunas, 2 Delawares and 2 Black French Copper Marans pullets. As a shameless plug I can tell you that these are the healthiest, most vigorous birds we have ever seen. We now get almost a dozen of the most beautiful array of colored eggs every day and all proceeds from selling the surplus go into the Future Flock fund lol.

Hubby and I live on 2 acres with our farm dog Morgan the Rottie whose mission in life is to help mommy check on the chickens. Slowly but surely we are turning this roller coaster plot of land into a little farmette and the turning point in bringing it to life was absolutely getting our birds. I wish this kind of simple peace and happiness to all of you who either have or are thinking about getting chickens. My advice? Stop thinking about it and DO IT. It will change your life forever :-D

Back
Top Bottom