Bella the Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Mar 3, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok we moved the broody hen inside to our daughters closet in a box so she could be left alone. (We leave the closet door open during the day but the bedroom is shut) My new problem is she isn't drinking at all or eating much. Should I force her off her nest to drink? She also hasn't poo'd in two days (I'm afraid of the infamous broody poop that must be coming)

What other suggestions do you have?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

she could be stressed b/c you moved her. See if she will eat some treats.

3. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I moved the food and water closer to my hen, so she can eat and drink without getting of off the nest.
    It's working really well!

Also, I take her off of the nest once a day and take her outside.
    She takes a quick dust bath, does a GIANT poo and then I take her back inside.
    She hops right back on the nest and tucks in her eggs.

I also mixed her up some scrambled eggs with other stuff mixed in - the 'recipe' is on my blog.

Have you joined the broody thread? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=130610

Good luck on your hatch! [​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    OK my little broody serama is still be stubborn about drinking. She will eat a little but the way her box is set up I am afraid to put water in it without the fear of it getting spilled on the eggs. I've been taking her out once a day to drink but even then she is so P.O.'d about being moved that she won't drink much. GRRRRR!

The water is right next to the box but she just won't get up at all.

She has 7 eggs under her (all banty but 1) I candled them and three look like they aren't developing. Should I just remove those - or would that upset her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by