1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Belly Crawling Chicken - Is She Sick?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gotweim, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    I have a RIR that is 9 months old. She is a happy chicken but some days (today for instance) she walks around really crouched down so low that her belly is practically dragging on the ground. When she does this she also slightly wiggles her back end. Sometimes she'll walk sideways while she is doing it. I've checked her bottom and nothing looks blocked or backed up.

I'm not sure if she is laying or not, I have 7 hens and usually get about 4-5 eggs a day, someone isn't but I'm not sure who. All the poops under the roost look normal as well.

Has anyone experienced this??

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Is there a rooster nearby ?

3. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    Yes, I have one roo.....

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

it sounds like it might be a hen who is eager for breeding... or some really terrible disease... probably one or the other [​IMG] let's hope she just wants to be a momma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by