belly wound

ravenseye57

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
I have a 7 month old pullet that cut her belly on a sharp object all the way through the skin so that there's about a half dollar sized area of muscle exposed. I'm sure this kind of thing has been covered and I'll look for threads on the topic, but any advice would be appreciated! Here's what I've done so far. It had been at least 24 hrs I'm guessing before I discovered it, too late to try to pull it closed and stitch or butterfly. I washed it as well as I could with hydrogen peroxide and betadine/warm water mix and coated it with bacitracin zinc. I'm keeping her seperated in a small dog crate, she's eating well and acting normal. Cleaned and remedicated two more times. Would a "sitz bath" in epsom salts be advisable? Should I try to get antibiotics for her? Can't afford a vet.

First, I think you have done the right things initially and you should stop fretting. These animals have a great capacity for healing. This should not be a problem. I recommend you do not stitch it. Cleans with lots of water daily and neosprorine it 2 times a day. It will heal in time. Give her a companion to keep her company and make re-introduction easier.

Thanks! That's reassuring. I figured I'd bring in a buddy for her last few days inside or bring one of the ones that have been in the low light coop (to rest and molt) when the time comes to put her back with the others. Do you think I should wait until the muscle is completely covered with skin before reintroducing her?

Absolutely!
Wait until she is all better.
Bring in the buddy ASAP. And then another, and another. Keep them in a flock of 3 so re-introduction won't be so difficult. You can rotate the buddies in and out so she remains a part of the main flock - we don't want her stressing.

I had a bird with a rip from a rooster's claw the size of a silver dollar. We named her Zena because if she survived she would have to be strong. I washed her and the water freely went in behind the skin filling it like a balloon. I washed & washed with straight water. Then I covered it with neosporine. It took weeks to heal. she has a dark feather at the beginning and end of the cut that does not match her other colors or breed characteristics. It's a scar feather. She had gotten dirty by 'dust bathing" in the bedding I had put down for her after 5 days so I decided to wash her again. The skin was more attached to the muscle underneath at the time so I was happy but the hole was larger with signs of healing at the edges so I didn't know if I was grateful or worried. I re=applied the ointment 2 times a day. I kept her warm and in rotating good company. Re-introduction was a breeze! All the other hens still knew her as their flockmate.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a large cage, so one other at most could be with her. She can hear the others and they can hear her (shes on the back porch) and I figure I can put the kennel in the yard for a while before release too so they can see each other.
The skin is already sealed around the wound edges. I'm going to walmart for some more supplies, neosporin, tegaderm if they have it and some other first aid stuff I realized I should have on hand. I have blu cote, is it OK to use on open wounds like this, or only later to keep the others from bothering the healing wound?

I'm not sure about using blucote on open wounds. Perhaps read the packaging to be sure?
hu.gif

Rotate the buddy hens in and out every few (3) days. That will help with re-introduction.

Thanks, I'll try that. She's a pretty dominant girl though. I tried bringing in a sleeping buddy last night and she attacked her as soon as I opened the cage door. I'll try one of her siblings next time. The wound seems to be doing well so far. No sign of infection, not even much seeping. :)

Back
Top Bottom